Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Very simple railing  (Read 407 times)

RealViz

Very simple railing
« on: May 24, 2023, 08:30:51 AM »
Hi, I am trying to create a very simple looking glass railing with a handrail. However, the problem is that the corners create tiny columns of glass. It should be that the glass is trimmed at the corners like on the top model. I attach a picture + 3ds max ver. 2020 file.
I apologize for the possibly stupid question, sometimes a simple solution presents itself and you just don't see it :-)

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Very simple railing
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2023, 08:55:11 AM »
Hi,

Adjusting the Corner > Bevel Offset value (while using the Tile Mode) does the trick. I’m attaching the modified scene. I hope that helps.

Best regards,

RealViz

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2023, 09:11:30 AM »
Thanks, unfortunately I have also tried this and errors occur on other corners where there are again columns or short pieces of glass.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2023, 09:39:31 AM »
Hi,

If tweaking the mentioned Bevel Offset value doesn’t “fix” all of these, I would suggest you use a Segment for the Corner Input having the Bevel Corner option enabled – it could be slightly shorter to adapt to your needs. Please find attached the revised scene.

Optionally, you can add a null segment with some X Size, turn on the Bevel Corner and increase the Offset to a value over 200% - that should do the job also.

Best regards,

RealViz

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2023, 10:17:15 AM »
Your solution is good, but it has limits. Especially the glass gets longer or shorter. In the end I found probably the best solution using your SplineOffset plugin. If the railing does not move away from the curve the whole RC works much better.
It might be worth thinking about for you if this can't be solved (alligment), in any case now the solution is just via SplineOffset.
THX