Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: VRaylighgts grouped with geomtry, used as segment - various issues  (Read 495 times)

Morne

Hi Team
Max 2022, RC 5.2.5, VRay 5 latest official release.

I'm having various issues with VRay GPU and Vantage with the above setup.

1) In VRay GPU, I can adjust the multipliers, and everything works fine. However if I use the VRayLight Lister to disable the light/switch it off, it still renders!
2) The lights do not render at all in Vantage
3) Some Lights seem missing in my style. See the 2 attached screenshots. image1 shows just with geometry fittings, and image2 shows geomtry fittings grouped with vray lights. As you can see, the outer rows are missing. When rendering, also you can see that the outer row has no lights rendering there so its not just a visual glitch.

For these 3 points, not sure if the issue lies with iToo or Chaos, but would be great to get to the bottom of it and get it fixed.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: VRaylighgts grouped with geomtry, used as segment - various issues
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 02:57:17 PM »
Hello Morne

Thanks for your questions.

1) In VRay GPU, I can adjust the multipliers, and everything works fine. However if I use the VRayLight Lister to disable the light/switch it off, it still renders!

This is a known limitation which also affects V-Ray Instancer (which means it's something on Chaos' side). We reported it to Chaos and apprently it was a deliberate choice. You can a discussion about it in another case here: https://forum.itoosoft.com/forest-pro-(*)/group-lights-not-turning-off/

They recommend zeroing the intensity instead.

The lights do not render at all in Vantage

Vantage uses Chaos' VRScene format as an interchange, and they also take care of the export process so I'm afraid there's not much we can control about this one. That's one for Chaos too. IN the meantime you could get it to work by instantiating using Forest Tools prior to export.

Some Lights seem missing in my style. See the 2 attached screenshots. image1 shows just with geometry fittings, and image2 shows geomtry fittings grouped with vray lights. As you can see, the outer rows are missing. When rendering, also you can see that the outer row has no lights rendering there so its not just a visual glitch.

This is one we can deal with! Although without the scene files it's hard to diagnose what might be the cause. Any chance you could send us a version of your file?

Thanks,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Morne

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 04:29:50 PM »
Thanks Paul

I've narrowed it down to the reference spline. If the spline has a 0 rotation on Z, then all is as it should be.
However, if I rotate the spline, by the amount I need, 31.881 in Z in this case, that is where the lights go missing

Attached is a max 2022 file showing the issue. You'll notice if you rotate the ref spline "Layer:3D Unit1 Interior Ceiling Grid001", back to 0 in Z, the missing lights come back.

Also, another weird thing, which has nothing to do with the rotation. You'll notice the bottom spline, generates the ceiling grid different to the middle and upper levels, even though its the same spline that was copied up and attached.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 04:48:48 PM »
Hi Morne,

Thanks for the file. It would appear that RailClone considers those segments to be sliced by the clipping spline even though they aren't. I'll look into this in more detail but for now, you can disable the Group Segment node's Deform > Slice option. Then go into the Generator and change Clipping Area > For No Slice to Preserve.

The difference between the ceilings is a known issue when using Sequence operators in Increment at Y mode with multiple sub-splines. The first spline is correct, but others are incremented by a count of 1. To get around this you can change the Increment On option to Spline Section.

I hope that helps,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software