Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Wall style nightmare  (Read 3442 times)

IT1371

Wall style nightmare
« on: May 28, 2018, 01:25:08 PM »
So I've done a few projects already and its always the same pain.
Usually looks like this:

Ideally, I just make it with an Array 2S generator and call it a day. Make the padding & X/Y Evenly until i'm happy with the resultand ofc some Clipping Area to cut the openings.
Not much of a struggle.

But most of the times i'm required to recreate something like this:

From what I understand this requires a different approach, and an Array 2S can't recreate it. So this specific style will be created with 3 Linear 1S generators and all of them will share the same gap/clipping/padding etc parameters.
If we have more than a single floor building (let say - 9 story high) I will just instance the spline for each floor.

The only problem it takes too long. Obviously I need to create a separate Railclone object for each facade, because clipping area can't go in 2 different directions at the same time.
I need to calculate every single gap (just the horizontal gaps, since vertical gaps are a no-brainer), and if the client decide to change dimensions for just a little bit I need to purge it and sink back to the math.
Requires tons of ID exclusions to consider all odd situations.

So my question is - how will you approach such a task?
Just looking for a way to simplify things and learn something new along the way.
My image is attached.

Rokas

Re: Wall style nightmare
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 03:05:26 PM »
Hi.
There are couple of ways to achieve Your result. I find this style quite elegant:
It uses nested style- RailClone within a RailClone.
One of them determines vertically stacked panels and horizontal gap between those.
And second RailClone- Horizontally side by side stacked panels with vertical gap.

I also used L1S clipping node to exclude windows.
Rokas