Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: WINDOW with inclined top  (Read 1205 times)

GT4505

• claar.be
WINDOW with inclined top
« on: November 17, 2016, 08:51:01 AM »
Hi there,

In a project I'm working on I'm looking to make a window with a non horizontal top.
I've viewed the stair-tutorial because this contains some deformations with a flat bottom/top.
Looks like it's almost working, however there are some issues that should be fixed.

* I'd like to get the top aligning with the top of the spline, now this is quite difficult because of the flat settings. If I transform the segments this gets messed up. If possible fixing this inside the transform would be great, in stead of the z offset in the generator.
* There is also a strange issue with the difference between a line going up, or down... one of the two gets messed up for some reason.

Thanks
Pieter
Pieter van Stee

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: WINDOW with inclined top
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 04:51:52 PM »
Hi,

Using the Deform - Stepped mode & Vertical Top (instead of the Vertical mode & Flat Bottom) will allow you to use the Z - Top Alignment (and match the Base Spline) and should also avoid those artefacts. Attaching a sample scene showing that approach and modified scene with your style (might be, it'll require an additional tweaking, but it seems to suit it better). Hope you'll find it useful.

Best regards,

GT4505

• claar.be
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 05:47:32 PM »
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.
I've been reviewing both your files but it's still nog exactly what I need it seems.
The first sample you've made looks good, but I'm missing the starts and ends.
The second one has still some strange overlap...

Maybe it's easier to take a step back, the difficult part here is to get a top layer with the mullions following the top spline, but with a flat base... that's basically it. All that comes underneath that is quite easy.

I've been testing with a very simple shape and script again. There I've noticed that I can get pretty good results, but still not 100% as I wanted/expected.
For the corners I assume it's needed to use vertical deformations, with... a flat bottom. Only when using this flat bottom (5cm), everything is flat :p it's just when I move everything op (10cm) it all seems to fall into place. Except for the alignment with the inclined top spline.
Is there a way to get the top of the elements aligning with the spline, and to get the base all on one line?

That would be fantastic ;)
Thanks!
Pieter van Stee

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 06:04:58 PM »
Hi,

Please take a look at the attached file to see if it helps. There are a few restrictions with the Vertical/Stepped top and bottom modes as they are calculated after all the transforms have been performed, which is why putting them below the spline is causing some issues. The attached file is very similar to Michal's except that the mid section is calculated above the spline and then the whole array is rotated by 180 degrees to move it below the spline. The only restriction with this is that the top part of the frame still must be above the spline. Other than that, this seems to work fine.

I hope it helps, please let me know if you have any questions.

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software