Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: wood facade randomize  (Read 1439 times)

JI5496

wood facade randomize
« on: July 27, 2016, 02:38:49 PM »
Hello,

I have this wood facade (see attachment) consisting of 3 different types of planks each 4 meters long.
My problem is that railclone distributes the planks new every 4 meters but i would like to have the same (random) distibution all over the facade.
I know it can't work with my current setup - but is there a way to do this?

thanks!

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: wood facade randomize
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 04:30:29 PM »
Hi,

The problem here is that the Randomise operator generates a new random result for each individual segment. There is another way to randomise that involves using the Selector operator with a Random Number node connected to the Index property that gives you much more control over when a new random value is generated.

However there is still no option for one random number per column ... but, it we rotate the array there is an option to generate a random number per Y Row.

This should give you the same results the full length of the row.

The attached file illustrates this. To make this work I've had to rotate the segments so that they're horizontal and then rotate the whole array by 90 degrees (so that they're vertical again!).

There's a second issue as well. If you are using clipping splines and Extend X/Y size to area then RailClone creates a new array for each area and set the size to the minimum required to fill it. Because the sizes of the arrays are different you'll get alignment issues again. To fix this either set the size of the array manually using X/Y measurements and then clip, or use only a single clipping spline when using Extend X/Y Size to area where areas need to align.

Both approaches are illustrated in the sample file too.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Many Thanks,

Paul

Paul Roberts
iToo Software

JI5496

Re: wood facade randomize
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 01:43:11 PM »
That worked perfectly! - thank you very much!