Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Copying style to new spline fails reproducing the same segments !!!  (Read 1388 times)

NP2889

Hallo everyone..

So heres my Problem.. 

We´ve created a style , that uses predefined Wall segments, that can be changed by changing the mat id of a splinesegment, (using a conditional operator), to be able to aply differing Wallpatterns on Buildings..

The architekt still is changing the wall all the time, so we have to be flexible.

Now in this scene are allready half a dozen buildings with differing Wallpatterns. 

When i now copied a Building (building together with the spline and spline) as a copy not a clone, i wanted to change base object, selecteing a new spline that allready reproduces the outline of the new building that has differing volumes...

i did so, and now i tried to change my mat ids of the producing splinesegments, to recreate the new facade pattern the architekt wishes...

But !!! this doesnt work as expected..   for example the mat id 9 an 10 doesent produce the same segment as with the base object spline i used before.. 

workaround now was to copy the building and base object and allwas copy spline segments to the desired place but not to only change the mat ids which still reproduced errors using wrong segments.

so what could be wrong with this ?

greetings from Hamburg

Tom

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Copying style to new spline fails reproducing the same segments !!!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 02:49:54 PM »
Hi Tom,

First let me mention, that for these purposes you might find better the Selector Operator in the Spline Mat ID mode (it'll avoid the need of loop through all Conditional Operators).

Anyway, both styles should correspond to the new spline (and upon our internal tests all seem to behave correctly). Would you mind to send us your scene to check it here? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

NP2889

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 03:23:24 PM »
WELLL...

OK... Oops... the selector  much much much much much better... for this i thank you..

at the moment ill try to reduce my scene because it still is 500 mb so much to big..  after this ill send it to you

NP2889

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 03:40:13 PM »
Here comes the shrinked   3ds max file..

thanks

NP2889

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 04:35:35 PM »
I also maild you the ziped max file

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 10:31:02 AM »
Hi Tom,

Thanks for provided scene. There's a difference between "railclone_spline_gebauede___028" / "railclone_spline_gebauede___029" & the source "railclone_spline_gebauede___048". The "048" is broken into individual spline segments, but "028" & "029" not. That's easily to fix by selecting all vertices (Selection - Vertex > Ctrl+A) a hitting the Geometry - Break button.

Optionally, a similar effect it's possible to archive by changing the Linear 1S Generator mode from Scale to the Tile one. Attaching modified scene (with included suggested Selector Operator change). Hope you'll find useful.

Best regards,

NP2889

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 11:00:40 AM »
Weeeeeeelllllllll... ::) :D :D :D

thank you...  this will save ma abaout a third of my work the next days... 

many thanks..  well the only thing is i still dont understand why the segments with the same mat id didnt show the same segments.. 

think i will have to think about this a little further more..

thank you

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 03:08:17 PM »
Hi Tom,

Glad to hear, that it helped.
"... why a spline which segments are not broken by the vertices, reproduces other segments than the broken version ..."
Well, it's not another Segment, but the "scale algorithm" behaves differently (to archive a better final Bevel look) when several welded segments of the used spline are "in line". We'll check, what can be done to improve its behaviour.

Best regards,