We ran into strange behaviour of Railclone, our workflow is based on a Master MAX file (2016) RC 3.0.7 with multiple Xref Scenes, one containing 30+ railclone objects (roofs, etc.)
The renders started acting strangly, sometimes fine, sometimes freezing on a bucket (CPU usage stops) or freezing in the middle of LC calculation or just crashing when loading (pipe has ended 106 error). No RAM issue (plenty of unused RAM) disabling instancing engine did not help.
This is linked to RC because when we hide the roofs layers, everything is fine.
I found this fix in the last relase and it seems related (I've meanwhile updated to 3.10):
Fixed: objects created with RC2 are not upgraded to RC3 when using XRef scenes.
* This problem occurs in the main scene, not in the XRef'd one.
* Once saved with RC3, failed objects cannot be fixed even loading them with this patch. To help with that, we added a Maxscript function to fix them manually. Just select one by one, and run: $.upgradeFromVersion(275)
Some of our roofs are using the last improvements (they're great btw
but have $.createdVersion = 307
Some older objects have been createdversion values like 247, 234 etc.
My questions :
- Does running the command $.upgradeFromVersion(275) will fix all the older objects, or do I have to change the command according to the RC object : e.g. $.upgradeFromVersion(247)
- Is it likely to fix the strange render behaviour ?
- Is it a way to mass edit all the objects ?
Scene is very complex, difficult to share. But if needed I can send an archive to support.