Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Trying to cover a 3d curved faced with panels but need start offset  (Read 2160 times)

eqko

I'm trying to setup a panneled wall with railclone, and while I do get somewhere, I can't think of how to make it
exactly as needed.

the thing is, is that either I can get the panels to follow the wall (surface) using an array2s but they all start at the same height, or
I can get them to 'fill' the clippingspline using a lot of vertical splines and a linear1s, but then they won't bend correctly around the curve
coming out the front.

I was hopinh there's a way I can get the array2S to start at varying heights as to fill the area up more nicely.

look at attachement 4. right is the array2s, left the linear1s.
Take special notice of 4th vertical of the 1s. it starts lower than the previous 3 to fille the shape out more nicely. but as you can see on the top of it, the panels
don't curve with the bend of the surface, they only come forward.

the array2s on the right works much better in regard, but lacks the start offsets to better fill out the shape I need.

Any ideas ?

Rokas

I don't think this is possible to make with RailClone. What You can do now is create Your L1S array and Instance it to separate meshes and adjust that further as needed.
Rokas

eqko

yeah I was afraid of that. I guess that's what I'll do then. Thanks.

Rokas

The closest we (Paul) could do is this attempt. 

Not exactly as required but might be useful.
Rokas

eqko

looks almost there. Let me check it out :)

eqko

I'm missing a spline in the file ?

Rokas

Sorry.

This works by setting spline bottom to mtl ID=1 and only it generates mesh upwards, which is clipped by the same spline.
Rokas

eqko

I see how it sort of works, but kinda falls flat with the clipping (it need to be whole panels.)
other than that though it works nice for what it does (the technique is interesting to say the least).

for now I'll stick with the linear1S for the 'flat' part with multiple spline in 1 then copy for each next column that needs additional rotation
to follow the outcurving part.

thanks for the help though.