Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Long Format Clay Bricks  (Read 1521 times)

Lee H

Long Format Clay Bricks
« on: December 04, 2017, 02:30:40 PM »
Hi, i hope someone can help - i am trying to create the attached image of long format clay bricks in Railclone.

I have found so many posts on stone walls - brick wall etc some seem very outdated.

I have tried using the brick macro but i can randomly move the bricks on the x to they are all staggered.

Any pointers to specific posts that would help me would be great. The brick is all the same length say 1m long. When ive tried to follow a tutorial i never seem to get a clean 90 degree corner. Its always stretched and chamfered.

Any help appreciated

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Long Format Clay Bricks
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 11:12:47 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for the question.

Please see the attached file which includes a new macro to help you recreate this style. It uses more or less the same technique as the built-in Running Bond macro except is adds the Scale Final X Segment macro to ensure that the final brick is not bevelled. We'll include this in future versions of RailClone

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any questions.

All the best,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Lee H

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 11:19:34 AM »
Hi Paul - thanks so much for this. If i have openings within the wall am i correct i still have to have another spline with the gaps for the openings ?

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 11:23:58 AM »
Hi,

Yes, I'd do it that way. You'll get better finishes to the bricks than with a boolean operation.

Cheers,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Lee H

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 11:36:20 AM »
Hi Paul - the client now tells me the exact size of the bricks 53cm x 11cm x 4 - i have changed the size of the bricks and tried with one of my splines and i never get the correct corners.

As you can see from the attached image the textured wall is what i need to wrap onto. Although it is broken into sections. I have took one section and tried wrapping your RC onto it but the corners never wrap around. If i make the wall really wide then it does. Any ideas if this will work ?

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 11:44:00 AM »
That issue is caused because the returns on the walls are smaller than the length of the segments used in the Corner inputs. That, unfortunately, is a limitation of this style as the corners are always added to both sides of the spline sections whether theres space for them or not.

Give me a few minutes and I'll see if there's a workaround.

All the best,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 01:03:55 PM »
Please see the attached.

I've only been able to solve this for now by splitting the spline using Material IDs. So you'd need to alternate the IDs on the spline sections between 1 and 2.

I hope that helps.
Cheers,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Lee H

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 04:59:06 PM »
Thanks so much Paul - really helped

TL1895

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 03:43:15 PM »
Good post, thanks KU and Paul, of course.  8)