Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Distance between two adjacent markers  (Read 151 times)

Dragan

Distance between two adjacent markers
« on: November 03, 2021, 10:00:55 PM »
I guess it will not be possible but I`ll give it a try.

How about having attributes for MarkerDistance based on active marker used in array creation. Together with MarkerDistance, it will be great to have MarkerPreviousDistance and MarkerNextDistance on adjacent markers.
My intention is to get Lenght for adjacent markers based on the currently active marker in the array so having attributes like MarkerPreviousLenght and MarkerNextLenght will be great.

It seems that markers affect XsectionLenght but since everything is evaluated at the start I can`t use it for nesting L1S as X size.

Dragan

Re: Distance between two adjacent markers
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 09:27:11 AM »
Considering that Markers will "split" Spline into sections, XSplineSection could work fine but I run into several issues.
The goal is to fit XSize between markers. X Alignment is set to Left and Xsize should be XSplineSection. Markers Reference from Start.
Please pay attention to only active Generators (Test 1-3). I just Z offset to see all at the same time.

1. Generator TEST1 - Just XsplineSection returns the wrong result.
2. Generator TEST2 - XsplineNextSection will fit the segments but the First and Second Segments are acting wrong
3. Generator TEST3 - setting First Segment to XSection and the rest Segments to XSectionNext seems to be working fine

To see issued behavior please select Marker2 and move along the spline. All other markers are working fine.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 10:16:28 AM by Dragan »

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 10:02:56 AM »
Have you tried resizing Default segment, instead Marker segment ?

I did a quick test using XSectionLength, and it works fine.
Just it's necessary to attach some Segment to the Marker slot (in my case an empty segment). If not spline is not divided by Markers.

Resizing Marker segment is more tricky, because Markers are added to the start/end of each section, alignment may change, etc.

Internally, RailClone works dividing the spline in sections (by Marker/Envely/Corner), and then processing each section in a Start-Default-End sequence.
Default segment is always the same (Default slot), but Start/End segments depends how section was divided. There are many variables affected, depending of the section.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Dragan

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 10:30:31 AM »
I`m testing workflow to have different Segments/Nested Generator as Selector input controlled by Marker ID and controlling parameters for those Nested ones with User Data fields. The intention is to X size be controlled by XSegmentSize.
I'm already found a workaround as you can see on Test3 but I was just curious is the right behavior.

I`ll check if the Default+Null Marker workflow will work.

Dragan

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2021, 11:25:10 AM »
Ok. I did a quick test and seems to be working but this was working before :D (Now, I`m pushing Beta to its limits  :D )
Although I was needed Default for something else, all that is possible by adding another generator.
Nested Generator had an issue but adding Compose+Null to terminate does the trick. So, for normal use, everything should work fine.
I still could find Marker Positions some kind useful as Arithmetic Attribute.  ;)

Also, what about the number of User Data fields!?
You mention that will be possible although it needs to be a fixed number. Is this `fixed` number determined for a single RC Object or it will be set as General?
Thank You.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2021, 09:37:25 AM »
Also, what about the number of User Data fields!?
You mention that will be possible although it needs to be a fixed number. Is this `fixed` number determined for a single RC Object or it will be set as General?

Unfortunately i could not find a way to define a variable number of User Data fields. Max doesn't allow to modify the rollup dinamically.
That means that if we increase it, for example to 20 fields, the UI will be very large. Now is even worse, because the Banking rollup is just below.

For this reason, i keep your suggestion in hold, until we can find a smart way to implement it.
Meanwhile, there are other priority features/fixes that we want to include for RC5. I'm sorry...

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Dragan

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2021, 09:48:15 AM »
Not happy, not happy at all,  :D, but I understand. It could be confusing/difficult to navigate when UI is large.
If this is not complicated for coding maybe it will be useful to create a pool topic to see what users will prefer: more DataFields vs Large UI
Thank You.