Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Final Version for 3dsMAx 2019?  (Read 694 times)

structurelab

Final Version for 3dsMAx 2019?
« on: April 25, 2018, 11:54:24 PM »
Hi all,

we were eager to try it out and started a new project in 3dsmax 2019 - we could use only the rc betas but started anyways. But now we have the problem, that we can't render the finals on the farm because they won't install beta versions. When can we count on a final version for 2019? Or would you advise to convert to geometry - which would greatly increase data load... ?

BR Alex.

FC1888

Re: Final Version for 3dsMAx 2019?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 04:25:45 AM »
Here is a quick tip

If this new project you mention is important and not just for testing purposes, then you should never reply on a beta versions, of any software or plugin, to complete said project.

I would also suggest, that if you do reply on certain plugins to compete important projects, that you don't upgrade any software, until al the plugins and other software you use, are updated and final and working well with it, such as Max.

It's common sense.

Asking when you can count on the final release of something or should you convert to geometry, makes me think you are using beta software for commercial purposes and that is never a good idea and I very much doubt it will speed up the release of the final version

Shawn Olson

• Wall Worm
    • Wall Worm
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 04:16:40 PM »
If this new project you mention is important and not just for testing purposes, then you should never reply on a beta versions, of any software or plugin, to complete said project.

... you are using beta software for commercial purposes and that is never a good idea and I very much doubt it will speed up the release of the final version

Using the word "never" is maybe a little strong. All actively developed software is, to one degree or another, in some state of beta even once released (because very often stability/problems can often fly easily under the radar until a critical mass of users install/use which is often only after a "stable" release). I've been using the beta version of Forest/RC for commercial work for years. The advice is probably good for OP since he/she is depending on a third-party service with a specific policy against it. Maybe a better piece of advice is to be wary of integrating beta software into your project until you are comfortable with it's ability to fit your needs. But that doesn't mean to never use it.

FC1888

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 12:58:57 AM »

When you say NEVER may be a little strong, I would disagree, at least in this situation. Sure if you just wanted to play with it, try it out or like me you test it out first before using it commercially (i do my own renders/animations, on my own system) then never would have been a tad strong.

But a commercial studio, that relies on another company to render their images/animations, not asking questions before they go installing beta software, I think NEVER was probably about right... but I get your point about any software in active development, being to some degree beta software.. but final release and the stability of same, is why we are all here, without a customer base, willing to try this stuff out, it would be far less likely to be as stable and usable, in it's final form, than with hundreds of customers, eager to test it out and come back to you with their findings.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 08:52:51 AM »
If that helps, our plans are to release the final versions in the next weeks, although there is not a fixed date yet.

It should have been released some time ago, but was delayed because the changes we're doing in the Update Manager.
We want to include a new method for offline installation, which is important for customers with render farms.
Although actually it's possible to place the assets in a network path using registry keys (there are several posts about it), we think this must be improved for the final version.

Also at this point we probably will wait to the stable release of V-Ray Next, which should come very soon.

But the plugins are basically completed and stable, if you want to use them. We're adding minor changes while we wait for the Update Manager, but are not critical.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

FC1888

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 03:47:19 AM »
Well since V-Ray Next, as you are most likely aware by now, has been released, I imagine it will not be too long now, before RC and indeed FP, will be released also.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 08:55:29 AM »
Well since V-Ray Next, as you are most likely aware by now, has been released, I imagine it will not be too long now, before RC and indeed FP, will be released also.

That's correct. Probably we'll  release before an updated beta compatible with V-Ray Next final, while we complete the changes in Update Manager.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

FC1888

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 01:20:41 PM »
Good to hear.. Can't wait to have all of it running together happily soon.. Obviously nothing is perfect, but I have to say FP and RC and for that matter V-Ray (so far) have caused me very few problems and none of them serious enough to cause any delay in getting the job done. Both companies, have (at least from my perspective) always gone out of their way to solve any problems in very quick time. Hopefully they haven't done much, if anything to break compatibility with FP and RC and it will all be good very soon.

Thanks for the update Carlos