Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: RC Slice  (Read 2165 times)

Dragan

RC Slice
« on: February 21, 2023, 09:11:40 AM »
First of all - love it!
Not sure if this would be possible (I guess you already had this idea).
As it is now Segment Node has Modifier Output and Selections for Generator Input.
How about "Automatic" mode, so the Source would automatically match the Generator's Input that is connected?  ::)

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: RC Slice
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 10:33:13 AM »
Yes, this was discussed while the development, but i could not find a clean way to implement it.

Segment geometry is prepared on an initial step, before the graph is evaluated. At this point it's not possible to know what slice will be required.
I though some weird workarounds, as storing all possible slices for each segment. But this is a bit complex, and not very efficient.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Dragan

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 10:56:14 AM »
Yeah. I thought so.
There are still a lot of crashes and hangouts with RC Slice but I`m testing it, keeping track, and eventually giving you back the report.  ???
Regards

Dragan

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 11:25:45 AM »
I'm very satisfied with the modifier as it is, real-time feedback is great and very easy to set up.
However, sometimes I'm missing to have a better view of slice positions (planes). When the mesh wire is complex sometimes is hard to distinguish where the cutting lines are.
So some check box for temporary showing slicing planes would be great (having some shortcut key would be even better).
I`m also missing the possibility of snapping since we don't have access to the slicing planes.

EI3056

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 10:55:47 PM »
Not sure if I missed something here, but do we have to duplicate the segment node for each Generators input and select a different source?
If that´s the case, is there any way to make it more convenient to swap geometry and keeping the graph clean by getting all RC Slice sources from a single node?
Cheers

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 10:24:27 AM »
I'm very satisfied with the modifier as it is, real-time feedback is great and very easy to set up.
However, sometimes I'm missing to have a better view of slice positions (planes). When the mesh wire is complex sometimes is hard to distinguish where the cutting lines are.
So some check box for temporary showing slicing planes would be great (having some shortcut key would be even better).
I`m also missing the possibility of snapping since we don't have access to the slicing planes.

Agreed. If there is time along the beta, we will try to improve it adding a gizmo.
It was planned initially, but RCSlice took more time than expected, and we had to put off this feature.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 10:33:58 AM »
Not sure if I missed something here, but do we have to duplicate the segment node for each Generators input and select a different source?
If that´s the case, is there any way to make it more convenient to swap geometry and keeping the graph clean by getting all RC Slice sources from a single node?
Cheers

That's it. Currently it's not possible to use a single Segment for multiple slices. You must create a Segment node for each one.
To make this process easier, we added two new options:

1.- With a Segment node selected, right menu->'Clone for RCSlice': creates all Segments for the RCSlice pieces.
2.- When there are multiple Segments selected, you can assign the source geometry for all of them in the properties panel.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Terri Brown

• Terri Brown 3D
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2023, 08:01:55 PM »
Absolutely awesome new feature this! I'm all for color coding the different slices  :D Girl stuff

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2023, 12:48:55 PM »
Absolutely awesome new feature this! I'm all for color coding the different slices  :D Girl stuff

Thanks for your suggestion, Terry.
This is something we also though while development. But unfortunately, as far as i know, it's not possible to modify colors from a Max modifier.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software