Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: UVW Xform and Triplanar maps  (Read 114 times)

Dragan

UVW Xform and Triplanar maps
« on: November 05, 2021, 11:55:30 PM »
I can`t randomize maps by the Material node (used for horizontal/vertical orientation with triplanar mapping).
UVW Xform will do the job but not support Triplanar maps.
Is this limitation or a bug? If it is, by any chance, a bug could this be fixed in RC5?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 11:57:51 PM by Dragan »

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: UVW Xform and Triplanar maps
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 11:46:57 AM »
As I understand it, Triplanar Mapping overwrites any UVW mapping assigned to the objects in Max and happens at render time so I can't see a way that it could be manipulated by RailClone. How about using two sets of materials offset by a known number? For example, say you have 4 materials on IDs 1 to 4, you could then use a node tree something like the one shown below.

File attached in case it's of help,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Dragan

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 11:58:44 AM »
Yes, this is not a problem with Material IDs but if I use this workflow to solve Horizontal/Vertical orientation with Box Mapping then I have to deal with the pair of materials and then It is a problem making Material  Selection through Parameter list, etc.
I kind of hope that can be solved with internal UVW Xform just to offset textures.

I use your workflow to orient texture but now I need to randomize offset for each face without adding more Material Ids. Any Idea?

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 12:06:21 PM »
Would your workflow allow for the use of the VrayUVWRandomiser? Use Instance ID modes is compatible with RailClone.

Best,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Dragan

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 12:12:31 PM »
I`m on the laptop again so I can`t open above 2019.
But we know what the problem is.
In fact, my main problem is the Corner segment. Because I can randomize textures by Vray or Corona Randomiser but I need to set to randomize on Face or Instance or whatever they called but this will break my texture flow between corner and sides segments.
So, the bottom line is either to have the option to randomize triplanar maps pr to have an option for all U/V/W rotation in the UVWXform operator.

You are aware of the mapping problem in RailClone especially when segments are rotated or scaled. We need to find a way to make this work.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 12:23:45 PM »
Hi Dragan, I understand this limitation is frustrating, I have come across it myself several times too. As mentioned, triplanar mapping is a special mapping type managed by the renderer that as far as we know cannot be manipulated by RailClone, however, an option for separate U/V/W rotation in the UVWXform operator is something that may be possible from our side. I believe you have already communicated with Carlos about this and I see it's already on our wish list.

Cheers,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Dragan

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2021, 12:46:58 PM »
Separate U/V/W rotation in the UVWXform operator was my request a few days ago. That will be great and it will be easy to control and to follow in the Style.
Please, push this up if possible to make it happen in this release  8)
This will solve all mapping problems and RC is really confusing on that matter, especially for the new users.