Itoo Software Forum

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Forest Pro beta / Re: Icon and Points Cloud
« Last post by iToo on May 27, 2024, 01:05:03 PM »
Sorry for the confussion, what I meant was

-to have the icon for ForestIvy instead of LOD in the toolbar
I cannot delete the icons for the toolbar, each time that 3ds max restart the icons reappear, this happened in previous version as well

We'll add a ForestIvy icon to the toolbar. But unfortunately this "system" toolbar cannot be modified by the user.

Optionally, you can create your own toolbar using Forest actions, and disable the default one. If you need assistance with this, please ask us.

-theres something going on with Library Browser, this happened in previous versions too, I cannot use the icons for the Presets, sometimes it sends me to Forest Library root or does nothing

I see. We'll check it.

-for the Point Cloud display Im using 3ds Max 2025.1

Please, send us a simplificated scene. We'll take a look to it.

Thanks,
Forest Pro beta / Re: Point Cloud - hard to select
« Last post by RealViz on May 27, 2024, 12:51:02 PM »
Thanks, higher cloudHitTestMaxPoints value works fine. Thx
Forest Pro beta / Re: FP Ivy - display limit
« Last post by iToo on May 27, 2024, 12:49:05 PM »
Hi, thanks for your suggestion.

For this initial version, we didn't want to add many options to the "Display" rollout. (some users complained it's too heavy in the Forest plugin).
But yes, for next updates we'll considere additional options as this.

Meanwhile, Points-cloud mode may be a good alternative for huge plants.

« Last post by iToo on May 27, 2024, 12:38:48 PM »
This has been changed for performance reasons:

When you hover the cursor over a Point-cloud object, the plugin must check each dot, and return a valid "hit" when intersecting.
This is done at CPU level, and we noticed that may cause viewport lag with dense objects.

For this reason, we limit the checking process only to a number of dots by object.
Since we changed significatively the Point-cloud mode (this is described in the FP9 release notes), hit-testing process is affected as well.

Initially we have defined a limit of 1000 dots by object for testing. This may be changed in forestpack.ini:

We included several parameters in the configuration file (forestpack.ini) for fine tuning:

• cloudPointsByObject (default: 250000): number of points of each Forest object. Setting it to 0, reverts to the classic Point-cloud mode.
  • cloudHitTestMaxPoints (default: 1000): maximum number of points used for hit-testing (to select items on viewport). You can reduce it, to improve hit-testing performance.
  • cloudSubSelDensity (default: 300): percent of points for selected items on Custom Edit mode.
  • cloudSubUnselDensity (default: 100): percent of points for unselected items on Custom Edit mode.

Depending of your feedback while the beta, me may increase this default value (although you may change it manually). But please note this also affects viewport performance.

Also usually moving the cursor a bit over nearest dots returns a valid hit, letting you to select the Forest object.

3DS Max includes a hit-testing mode at GPU level, but is disabled by default (we unknown the reasons).
But even enabling it (which can be done from Maxscript), i think it's not available for third-party plugins.

Forest Pro beta / Re: Crash Forest Pro 9 Beta and 3ds Max 2025
« Last post by iToo on May 27, 2024, 12:15:22 PM »
Fixed for next update.
It will work fine without Arnold installed.

« Last post by Michal Karmazín on May 27, 2024, 11:46:16 AM »
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear you're facing trouble with it. I just performed some quick tests with the current beta and was able to select the Forest object(s)/items in the Custom Edit mode within the Points-Cloud Viewport Display mode without any issues. If possible, please feel free to send us your scene - preferably simplified and containing only the problematic object(s). Ideally, if you can reproduce it in a minimal scene, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Forest Pro beta / FP Ivy - display limit
« Last post by RealViz on May 27, 2024, 10:49:28 AM »
Hello,
just an idea for improvement. Would it be possible to add some limit to the FPIvy display? I.e. e.g. it would display 10% of the leaves. For larger Ivy's definitely useful. Now everything that is subsequently rendered has to be displayed :-(
Thanks
Forest Pro beta / Point Cloud - hard to select
« Last post by RealViz on May 27, 2024, 10:37:08 AM »
Hello,
So I manually installed Max2Arnold to test FP 9. I was really looking forward to Ivy and also the new PointCloud. However, with PointCloud, I ran into a rather annoying thing right from the start. The individual elements are now very hard to select. Previously, all you had to do was hit a point to select an element. Now it's almost impossible and the only way to select is with Rect. selection.
« Last post by RealViz on May 27, 2024, 10:02:52 AM »
Confirm. Arnold is manually/scripted uninstalled on all machines.
« Last post by iToo on May 27, 2024, 09:19:05 AM »
I could reproduce this issue uninstalling MaxToA, so probably that's the problem.

Currently Forest assumes some MaxToA is installed, and initializes several Arnold data at startup. We'll try to fix it.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10