Itoo Software Forum

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Forest Pro (*) / Re: Forest should respect crossing selection rule
« Last post by RealViz on April 10, 2024, 09:54:12 AM »
I've now tried it and there seems to be a bug. If the proxy is turned on in clean/new 3dsmax without previous FP everything works OK. However as soon as we switch to PointCloud or Mesh it stops working and even when switching back to Proxy.
Forest Pro (*) / Re: Forest should respect crossing selection rule
« Last post by Michal Karmazín on April 10, 2024, 08:43:12 AM »
Hi,

I believe you are experiencing this behavior while working in the Display > Points-Cloud mode (which functions a bit differently), right? Instead, the Display > Proxy mode should work well with both Window / Crossing selection modes. I hope that helps.

Best regards,
Forest Pro (*) / Re: Updates and more efficient handling of scattering
« Last post by iToo on April 10, 2024, 08:29:30 AM »
Which is the best email to send the crash file to?

You can send it to helpdesk@itoosoft.com.
For large files (scenes and so), please use a web sharing service as WeTransfer.

« Last post by steve3duk on April 09, 2024, 08:59:51 PM »
Please, send us the minidump when it crashes.

Which is the best email to send the crash file to?

Forest Pro (*) / Forest should respect crossing selection rule
« Last post by ritoo on April 09, 2024, 04:07:44 PM »
When I select items  in crossing selection mode forests ignore crossing  rule (only the objects that fully are inside crossing window are selected).
Even being partially inside crossing window, they get selected. Is there possibility to make forests obey crossing rule?
Thanks
« Last post by RealViz on April 09, 2024, 12:41:36 PM »
I agree that modifying distribution methods is not appropriate. Moreover, the "image based" method is very good and allows a lot of tricks when using custom bitmaps. I understand that for some people it is a bit more complicated to understand, because you need to recalculate the pixels of the bitmap itself to real size in a max environment. Also the resolution of the bitmap itself comes into it. The "Draw Gizmo borders" helps a lot in this when getting started with FP. In my experience, most beginners employee enter completely nonsensical values into FP and try to make up for it with collisions for example. This of course results in completely overwhelming the scene with nonsensical calculations and can just lead to error messages about the max limit. However, you need to understand how FP itself works. Then it is a very robust plugin and I encounter errors quite rarely. Usually they are secondary what is related to a new feature etc.
« Last post by iToo on April 09, 2024, 12:18:31 PM »
Thanks for the response. I think I was ranting as I was very frustrated when I wrote the message.

No problem. That's understable when you find these issues on a deadline.

So, it's the standard message about either reducing the X/Y distribution or increasing display items as an error can pop up saying something like, "some forest objects did not render ...etc". This threshold about what can be rendered is dependant on camera view afaik so at the beginning of the animation the forest object would render and maybe half way through it wouldn't because it passed the threshold. I was just wondering if there was a checker for an entire animation to make sure the forest object was always rendered...

I see. As far as i remember, "Density Limit" and "Max.Items" are the only parameters which may affect this. Just set both to zero, to remove all limits.

But be care that uncapping it, you would get huge distributions.
There is not physical limit about the number of items that Forest can generate. Just processing time, memory and possible limitations of Max and the render engine.

Does this mean Forest pro is limited to being backward compatible and can never use other methods? This seems like a bit of a trap in terms of forest pro's future development.

We can add new distribution methods, but not remove or modify drastically existing features. But this is a problem with all the software.
If not, think what would happen if we release Forest 9, and now all your scenes doesn't work or generate a different result. Backward compatibility is very important for our customers.

I am still using a threadripper 2990WX (32 core) so I will try those things mentioned...problem is, I cannot disable multithreading as Vray takes advantage of it as do a number of other apps I use. It just wouldn't be viable to do this.
Do the new threadrippers cause this issue? Do you have a list of CPUs that have been tested?

No, sorry. We have little infomation about this issue. In fact, we never could reproduce it.
It was reported by customers using old Threadrippers, and some motheboards with dual CPUs. That matches with the information provided by Autodesk.

According to their notes, Max interface redraws much more slower that it should. That affects specially to Forest, because our plugin has many rollouts and parameters.
If that helps, you can hide unused Forest rollouts from General->Global configuration.

Forest Pro (*) / Re: Display -> Viewport not working correctly
« Last post by Michal Karmazín on April 09, 2024, 09:29:37 AM »
If possible, feel free to send us your scene - preferably simplified and containing only the problematic object(s) - ideally, if you can reproduce it on a minimal scene, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
« Last post by steve3duk on April 08, 2024, 11:41:57 PM »
Thanks for the response. I think I was ranting as I was very frustrated when I wrote the message.

Please, send us the minidump when it crashes.

I'll do this the next time it does this.

Sorry, i don't understand this. What limit do you mean exactly ? Does Forest show any message about that ?

So, it's the standard message about either reducing the X/Y distribution or increasing display items as an error can pop up saying something like, "some forest objects did not render ...etc". This threshold about what can be rendered is dependant on camera view afaik so at the beginning of the animation the forest object would render and maybe half way through it wouldn't because it passed the threshold. I was just wondering if there was a checker for an entire animation to make sure the forest object was always rendered...

Anyway, you can disable it setting Distribution->Image->Max.Density to 0. Same from Display->Render->Max Items.

I didn't know you could do this. That's very useful to know. I actually ended up altering the camera max distance and it resolved the issue when low to the ground.

in the other hand, we cannot remove or replace the original 'image' mode, because we must keep compatibility with existing scenes.

Does this mean Forest pro is limited to being backward compatible and can never use other methods? This seems like a bit of a trap in terms of forest pro's future development.

We know there was a problem of slow interface related to Threadrippers and dual CPUs (as described here). But it should not happen with current CPUs.

I am still using a threadripper 2990WX (32 core) so I will try those things mentioned...problem is, I cannot disable multithreading as Vray takes advantage of it as do a number of other apps I use. It just wouldn't be viable to do this.

Do the new threadrippers cause this issue? Do you have a list of CPUs that have been tested?

Forest Pro (*) / Re: Display -> Viewport not working correctly
« Last post by zules on April 08, 2024, 02:31:38 PM »
Up !
Same problem here...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10