Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Creating stairs  (Read 36185 times)

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Creating stairs
« on: March 13, 2014, 12:43:41 PM »
Post here your questions and comments about the Creating stairs tutorial.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

Bruno NM

Re: Creating stairs
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 09:35:50 PM »
Hi everyone !
How do you do about the helix object for the raiclone object follow the path ? I try with a simple spline with smooth corner, more interpolation,  that's work, stairs follow correctly. I created a helix object and my stairs are not correcty spaced and not correctly smooth for balustrades... What's the tip ?

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 05:17:22 PM »
Hi,

If you convert the helix to an editable spline object you'll notice that the vertices are set to corners and the segments are set to lines instead of curves. To fix this, select all the  segments, right click and change the type to Curves. You may also need to change the vertex type to smooth or Bezier.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have further questions.

Many thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Bruno NM

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 04:42:02 PM »
Thanks a lot Paul Roberts ! You save my stairs  ;)

Bruno NM

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 03:57:27 PM »
Hi Paul R ! I have a other question about this tutorial,
there is a way to do this type of stairs ? I can't find the good method for this...

PS: I have a question for the tutorial tiles and bricks, i can't find the topic..

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 04:12:11 PM »
Hi,

You should find that creating these stairs is quite similar to the tutorial. I've attached a sample file that you can take a look at with a possible solution. I hope it helps out.

Many thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 04:15:41 PM »
Thanks for spotting the missing thread for Mapping Tiles and Bricks, I've added it here: http://forum.itoosoft.com/index.php?topic=3154.0
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Bruno NM

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 05:43:25 PM »
Thanks a lot for this example ! This node explain me better for understand my mistake.

Bruno NM

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 02:35:48 PM »
Hi again in this post,

Today i try to handle corners with stairs, but i need to Z Offset every next flight step...
Someone could help me ? ;D

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 06:15:21 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the question. That's trickier than it looks because you need the alignment to be different and gradually change from the beginning of the flight to the end. In reality the lines that drive two flights of stairs do not connect neatly at the corners like that. You can see this if you look at a flight of stairs with strings. One is above the other on the corner.

So on option would be to break the spline on the corners and move up the bottom vertex.

Another possible solution would be to add a Z offset to the bottom of the stairs that gradually reduces for each additional step. To do this you can use the expression  (1-XSectionPosition)*Input1

XSection Position returns the current position of the step on the spline section as a scalar value between 0.0 at the start to 1.0 at the end. You can use this to multiply an offset value that will gradually reduce along the spline.

Please take a look at the attached sample file for an example of this.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Many Thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Bruno NM

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 08:30:46 AM »
Ouah, many thanks for the help ! An other great tips !

Best regards

EU7057

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 10:18:34 PM »
Is this stair condition possible? I tried taking that most recent example from the post above and turning it the other direction and it broke. Wonder how best to attack this. Should spline paths follow more closely as to where railings will be, as opposed to being on the opposite side of the stairs as a guide? Or maybe it doesn't matter.

I had hoped Railclone would help me with stairs and stair rails, but whenever I come to use it I find the learning curve too high...
The example projects are always useful - I think it helps so much to have a starting scene to rejig and then learn to customize off of.

Thanks

pixelplume

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 08:06:06 PM »
I'm really lost as how to setup my stairs with a landing. I tried to reverse engineer the one with the cantilever steps with no luck.  I have attached a PDF of the elevation and a 3ds Max model. Currently the model is pretty much setup to the style I'm trying to make. When I add the corner segment it destroys it  :P . Please let me know if you need more information.

Sean

amitgedia

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 09:16:13 AM »
hi,
is there a possibility to add railings on these stairs in a good flowing manner not in a stepped way
if u can share a .max file with the railings it would be great

pixelplume

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 11:07:01 PM »
should i repost my question in the registered area?  :-\