Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Model optimisation  (Read 4336 times)

manoffoot

Model optimisation
« on: March 16, 2018, 09:02:40 PM »
I've been evaluating the lite version and had a few questions, some of which might be due to the limitations of lite over the pro but maybe someone can confirm.

Basically I wanted to enquire about model optimisation because the final output is for a real-time application and so I can't simply throw millions of polys at it. 
Vertex weld doesn't appear to do anything, is this a lite limitation because it can't be converted into a poly or mesh object??

An example model I'm looking to create is some arco barriers but with the model used related to the curvature of the spline.  When I tried using the conditional parameter it seemed to work for the first time it changed to i.e. curve to line but it didn't then change back when the condition changed again.  Again is this due to the limitations of Lite over Pro??

Using the Armco barrier model as an example again - along a long straight section, I'd like to increase the size of the sections (to reduce poly count) but increase the tiling of the texture, to match the other sections.  Is this possible?

Thanks in advance

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Model optimisation
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 09:44:15 AM »
Hi, although this is the Forest Lite forum, i assume your question refers to RailClone Lite (if not, please correct me).

Vertex weld doesn't appear to do anything, is this a lite limitation because it can't be converted into a poly or mesh object??

- Yes, this is a limitation of the Lite version. RailClone Pro can convert  to mesh, or use RailClone Tools to convert the geometry to standalone objects.

When I tried using the conditional parameter it seemed to work for the first time it changed to i.e. curve to line but it didn't then change back when the condition changed again.  Again is this due to the limitations of Lite over Pro??

- Not really. Any change in the style or spline should update the RC object automatically, both in Lite and Pro.
What conditional parameter do you mean exactly ? If you are creating a custom style, please send us the scene to check it.

Using the Armco barrier model as an example again - along a long straight section, I'd like to increase the size of the sections (to reduce poly count) but increase the tiling of the texture, to match the other sections.  Is this possible?

- Yes, there are two ways to modify UV coordinates:

a) Using the Box mapping available in the Segment properties. This option generates new texture coordinates for the segment.

b) With the UVW XForm operator. It lets you to modify the existing UV, which were in the original geometry, or created with the Segment Box Mapping.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software