Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: A noise map to change both colour and Z scale  (Read 913 times)

Tom_1028

A noise map to change both colour and Z scale
« on: February 17, 2024, 10:49:01 AM »
Hi,

Basically what I'm trying to achieve is scattering boxes on a plane, and I want some of the boxes to have a different colour and a different Z scale.

So I use a noise map as a mask for the boxes material (with "World XYZ" as mapping coordinates), and the same noise map as a Probability map for the Z scale of the boxes. I used that tutorial https://docs.itoosoft.com/forestpack/forest-plugin/transform to change the initial black and white noise map to a black and blue noise map so that only Z scale is affected and not the other axis.

And the result looks weird: boxes that are affected by the Z scale modification are not exactly the ones that receive the red colour.
What I want is all the red boxes to be impacted by the Z scale and only these, whereas in the screenshot you can clearly see that some green boxes are affected too.

Can you please help?

Thanks a lot,

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: A noise map to change both colour and Z scale
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2024, 11:14:20 AM »
I think it might be because the noise is 3D. So what you see on top of the boxes, is not necessarily the noise pattern that is being read on the surface.
If you look at these two images - the noise pattern on the surface does correspond to the scaling of the boxes. But because it is a 3d texture, it isn't affecting the top of the box.

One way around this might be to change the Z Tiling the force the same "slice" of the texture to be elongated on the Z Axis

I hope that helps,
Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Tom_1028

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2024, 03:57:21 AM »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your answer, but in my case it doesn't work: switching Z Tiling to 0.01 doesn't help (see attached).
Interestingly we can see the Z scale of the boxes doesn't change, but the color of the boxes did, which is weird as I didn't touch the X and Y Tilings, so I"m not sure too understand what's going on.

Tom_1028

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 01:05:13 AM »
HI,

Any thoughts as to why the issue remains on my side?
I can provide the scene for you to have a look if that helps.

Many thanks

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2024, 08:47:31 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that you are still experiencing difficulties with it. Please feel free to send us your scene to check it here. Ideally, if you'll be able to reproduce it on a minimal scene, which you can send us, it would be great. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

RealViz

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2024, 01:01:42 PM »
I think the xform reset for the surface and also the position, scale and rotation of the FP itself must be 0,0,0!

Tom_1028

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2024, 06:47:52 AM »
Not sure what you mean by XForm reset of the FP but anyway, I checked every object has no transformation: scale is 100%.

Tom_1028

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2024, 06:48:22 AM »
Thanks for your message, I just sent you the scene  :)

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2024, 08:46:22 AM »
Thanks for providing the scene. The issue lies with the position of the Forest object - the Forest's gizmo should be located at the center of 3ds Max's world coordinates for the World XYZ mapping to work correctly. Please find attached the modified scene (240301_PB_Forest_TEST_06_iToo.max). I hope that helps.

Best regards,

Tom_1028

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2024, 01:52:23 AM »
Excellent!
Thanks for your support, very much appreciated  :)