Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: About the opening speed of the file  (Read 2181 times)

lingrenddd

About the opening speed of the file
« on: August 19, 2021, 07:34:33 AM »
Hi
My MAX file will feel that the opening speed is slower than before, and the more of Forest uses, the slower the opening, but the speed is not affected. I would like to ask if there is any way to improve the speed of opening the file.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: About the opening speed of the file
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 10:13:06 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for the question. Forest Pack itself is very light and shouldn't adversely affect file opening/save speeds. However, the objects that users scatter with Forest Pack, and especially trees, can be many millions of polygons, and these can slow down file operations when they are saved in the scene.

One solution is to import the scattered geometry as an XRef or a Proxy so that the objects are saved in an external file. If you are using objects from the built-in Forest Pack library, you can read more (including some caveats) about importing as XRefs here: https://forum.itoosoft.com/faq/merging-presets-as-xref-to-library/

Best,
Paul

Paul Roberts
iToo Software

lingrenddd

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 02:34:58 PM »
I made trees in advance into a Corona proxy, and then in making forest, is it a problem with CR proxy?

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 02:46:45 PM »
Is it still slow even when they are Corona Proxies? If so, could you send us a sample scene to helpdesk@itoosoft.com (use Wetransfer or equivalent for large files) and we'll take a look.

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

lingrenddd

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 04:33:03 PM »
Hi
I have sent the file to helpdesk@itoosoft.com
I found that the release of the FOREST (reserved CR proxy) After only a few seconds, it takes more than two minutes to do not delete.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2021, 05:10:53 PM »
Thanks for your file. I can see that you are using a LOT of Corona Proxies. In theory that would speed up load times, but unfortunately at the moment, there is a known limitation whereby Forest Pack needs to load the whole mesh from a proxy in Corona.

This is done using a specific Max function (GetRenderMesh), which is very slow with Corona proxies. Although the mesh is not needed for the render itself (because proxies are rendered directly by the engine), it's necessary for other processes (i.e. to build the Forest point-cloud). For example, with V-Ray proxies 'GetRenderMesh' is very fast, because it returns the simplified mesh used for viewport. Instead, Corona computes and returns the full mesh stored in the proxy, and this process takes a lot of time.

I would also like to mention that Corona and several other renderers support us via our API, so there is a limit to how much we are able to do on our side but we are talking to the Corona team to try to improve the situation. You can read more about it here: https://forum.itoosoft.com/forest-pro-(*)/fpp-corona-animated-proxies-and-scene-parsingprep-time/

Best,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

lingrenddd

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2021, 05:30:40 PM »
Thank you very much! if I use the XREF in this way instead of the CR proxy, the opening speed will be accelerated?If you are feasible, I will use this way in the next project.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2021, 05:53:12 PM »
You may find it helps a little, although it will still need to load the full mesh. We did some tests of various XRef/Proxy/Mesh combinations and measured load times. You can see them here: https://forum.itoosoft.com/forest-pro-(*)/fpp-with-large-proxies-create-long-scene-load-times/msg27483/#msg27483.

It should help you to make some decisions about how best to optimise your scenes until the Corona Proxy issue can be properly resolved.
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

JK1258

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 09:38:58 AM »
Hello,

I have the same problem with my large scenes. I have made a feature request ob the corona forum. I am not the first one to point out this issue, though

Is there a possibility to run GetRenderMesh only when poiny cloud representation is selected in the FP display panel? It may give us possibility to use only proxy representation...

Best,
Mike

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2021, 01:05:55 PM »
Is there a possibility to run GetRenderMesh only when poiny cloud representation is selected in the FP display panel? It may give us possibility to use only proxy representation...

I'm afraid it's not possible. GetRenderMesh is required not only for Point-cloud, but also for other processes.
Some time ago we tried a similar workaround, but we had to revert it in a patch, because several side effects.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

JK1258

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2021, 03:58:06 PM »
Dear Itoo,

Thank you for your reply. Now i know that it is on the Corona side to fix this issue.

Best,
Mike