Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Again attempting to update from FP 7, to 8 fails  (Read 858 times)

Morne

Again attempting to update from FP 7, to 8 fails
« on: October 03, 2023, 11:43:23 AM »
Hi

We gave up with trying to update with 8.1, and reverted back to 7.4.3

We're now again attempting to update to the latest 8.2.4, however STILL experiencing show stopping issues. This time a different issue.
The 2 files mention before in the Max root that should be manually deleted (as previous 8 install did not remove it), are not there so they are gone, so that is NOT the issue.
However, trying to access ANY of our custom FP libraries after updating from 7.4.3 to 8.2.4, results in the library hanging on thumbnails "loading", but not actually loading
Also, it hangs in such a way, that the entire pc hangs and we have to do a manual hard reset

Any ideas what this could be or things to check?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 11:45:13 AM by Morne »

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Again attempting to update from FP 7, to 8 fails
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2023, 12:13:55 PM »
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you're facing these troubles. Please try disabling the "Add 'maps' folders to ·DS Max texture paths" feature under Library Browser > Preferences > Options to see if there's any difference.

Let me mention that some users reported a similar issue when loading presets from the Library. It was caused by an issue with the 'Scene Converter' tool. By default, this tool is opened automatically when Max detects a missing DLL. But if the tool was disabled in their configuration, it would cause a long Max freeze (several minutes) when loading the assets. We cannot reproduce it, but I suggest you take a look at it and make sure the Converter tool is enabled at Rendering > Scene Converter.

Thank you in advance for any further comments on this issue that you can share with us or our user community (in case some user(s) run into similar troubles).

Best regards,

Morne

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2023, 12:26:32 PM »
I did as you say, and at least the 1st thumbnail now actually loads before hanging again with the rest just "loading..."
the scene converter did not open even though I did enable it

Anything else to try?

Also note, we're on Max 2022
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 12:28:40 PM by Morne »

Morne

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2023, 06:35:55 PM »
any further hints?

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2023, 09:07:57 AM »
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear you're still facing these issues. Please follow these steps:
  • Delete the C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\ForestPackPro2022 folder.
  • If present, delete the ForestQtCatalog.dll file (or any other ForestQt*.dll files) from the 3ds Max "root" folder (by default C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2022). Also, please check the "plugins" folder <maxdir>\plugins\ as well. If present, please remove them.
  • Reinstall the plug-in.
I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Morne

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2023, 01:34:45 PM »
no it STILL doesnt work after that

Could it have something to do with a combination of the XML calling the maxscript file, and in those, there's still reference to MentalRay perhaps?

But I mean, come on, hanging the entire PC?!?

Morne

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2023, 09:19:12 AM »
Ah well
Geuss we'll stay on 7 then until 9 comes out and try again

Morne

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2023, 11:19:25 AM »
Anything futher I could try here?

Completely uninstalling FP and re-installing the latest, doesnt seem to solve the issue either

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2023, 01:20:43 PM »
First, let me apologize for the late reply. Would it be possible to send us any problematic library to check it here? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Morne

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2023, 09:44:14 AM »
Short of formatting our drives, if we uninstall from control panel, what are the folders, registry entries, environment variables etc to check to ensure any Itoo traces are completely removed, so we can start from scratch with "fresh" installs?

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2023, 09:51:40 AM »
All the files, registry entries, and related environment variables are listed here: https://docs.itoosoft.com/forestpack/installation-and-customisation.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,