Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Cars along spline Effect  (Read 808 times)

ST3200

Cars along spline Effect
« on: October 20, 2023, 05:44:37 PM »
Hi, I wanted to use this effect but using "in vertex positions" instead of distance.
Because it would be far more effective as the parkings spaces are far to be regular in real life.
Problem is that the cars are not really always at the good place (see pict)
It would be sooooo cool to have this working with vertex position !   ;D
Thanks a lot !

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Cars along spline Effect
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2023, 12:00:37 PM »
Hi,

In theory, the "Cars along spline" effect should work just fine even within the Path distribution mode using the In Vertex Position option. If possible, please feel free to send] us your scene (ideally simplified and containing just this problematic object(s)). Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

ST3200

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2023, 12:52:54 PM »
Hi Michal, here is a file ! Thanks

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2023, 01:56:37 PM »
Big thanks for the provided scene. This effect was created based on the "Parking Cars" tutorial and expects the car to be aligned on the X-axis, that's later rotated by 90º by the Transform > Rotate feature. This way, for example, the "switchSides" parameter can be used.

As mentioned in the related tutorial: "Another important consideration is the position of the car's pivot point and the models alignment in relation to the world axis. It may seem trivial, but this actually has an affect on two features that can be very useful when placing vehicles. In this tutorial we will use the Center Offset and Horizontal Mirroring features to position and randomise objects and in order for this to work correctly, the cars must be aligned so that they point along the World's X Axis. You may therefore need to rotate your car model by 90 degrees."

Please find attached the modified version of your scene (231024_PBITOOFPTOTOONSPLINE001_iToo.max). I hope that clears it up.

Best regards,

ST3200

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2023, 03:14:44 PM »
Hi, Thank you very much Michal !  ;)
I was aware of pivot direction but I didn't imagine that object rotation was important.
But the amazing thing is that it works!
Ice on the cake I can't add a random rotate 180 on top !
Best

ST3200

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2023, 04:05:00 PM »
Hi, Michal.
I have another problem : when using random rotate "RandomiseParkDirection" of the effect ( or a custom effect  rotation ) while the geometries are projected on a surface with orientation set to "normal" , the rotation seems to be done after the projection. ( it isn't correct )
The rotation should be done before the geometries are projected.
( I join a file )
Thanks.  :)

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2023, 09:57:38 AM »
Thanks for reporting that. I think the easiest fix in this case is simply to disable "RandomiseParkDirection" and instead enable "mirroring > Enable Horizontal Mirror" in the transform rollout. This should give you the same effect.

I hope that helps,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

ST3200

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2023, 10:16:56 AM »
Thank you Paul !
But now my parking lot looks like a mix of french and british cars !  ;)
Best regards
Thanks for itoo great support !