Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Forest creating preset error  (Read 3643 times)

ML2660

Forest creating preset error
« on: April 16, 2013, 10:18:28 PM »
Hi Carlos,

Using forest 4.03 I have a question if this is normal behavior or a bug.
It may have been asked before, but couldn't find it in the forum.

When I try to create a preset in the library browser and import an object, I select the forest object from the .max file as usual.
When loading the preset and the forest object has its default name (forest001) I get an error message
saying error loading library, can't find object forest001 in xrefrecord.
When I rename the same forest object in the source max file to, for example, forest grass , it works fine.

Is this normal, and if so, can you change this?
I don't want to open a lot my max files and rename every created forest object in older projects (or new), even though I know I should have in the first place........
It would be nice to create presets from old project files without opening and renaming etc.

Edit: read in the reference that you should copy the max file to the library. Is this really needed, because it also seems to work when importing from any file location, for example my project folder.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 10:38:59 PM by ML2660 »

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Forest creating preset error
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 09:58:04 AM »

Ok, i can reproduce the problem here. It's a bug.

Presets fail to load if exists some Forest object in the scene with the same name. We use the XRef system to load the scenes, but with the default behaviour the duplicated objects are renamed.

I think we can fix it for the next update. Meanwhile, it is necessary to use unique names in the preset scenes. Anyway, this is a good habit when creating libraries, because it can avoid other problems. We use _FP as prefix for most of objects and materials.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

ML2660

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 07:50:54 PM »
Hi Carlos,

Thanks for your reply.
Hopefully you can fix it.
I assume (not able to test it at the moment) that the opposite is also true: When using a preset which is named forest001, make sure there is no forest001 object in the current scene?
That would be the easiest way at the moment.

Does it make a difference if you have imported multiple default forest object names in the library or for example 5 times forest grass objects?

Thx again!

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 09:19:51 PM »

Yes, the situation is the same. It fails only the name of the preset object already exists in the scene.

It doesn't matter if the library include multiple Forest object, only is loaded one of them at time (which is defined in the library item).

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software