Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Custom paths  (Read 697 times)

JM2145

Custom paths
« on: May 19, 2023, 12:33:16 AM »
I'm trying to get all these paths to point to a different folder than the default one.

Is there any way of getting them all to update to a different 'master folder' rather than changing each one manually?

I may have missed it on the install, but it would be much easier if I could do it at the point of install.

All of my project assets are on a NAS drive, except for Itoo (FP and RC) assets which seem to install to Users>ComputerName>AppData ....

I'm always having to use RelinkBitmaps to relink all Itoo assets to the Network Drive for rendering purposes.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Custom paths
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 08:20:18 AM »
Hi,

If you're not using the "default" location, you should modify the corresponding registry keys in the following way:

https://forum.itoosoft.com/faq/installing-forestpack-6-assets-in-a-shared-network-path/

If you prefer using environment variables, setting corresponding environment variables would do the trick also. Just let me mention, that if both registry keys and environment variables are defined, the variables have precedence over keys (the priority order is Environment Variables > HKLM > HKCU).

I hope that helps.

Best regards,

JM2145

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2023, 12:20:52 PM »
Thanks Michael but that doesn't seem to change the paths in the screenshot I included?

I just want to make sure than when I'm doing distributed rendering with Corona on my home network that there are no missing maps whenever I use forest libraries

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2023, 12:29:47 PM »
On render nodes, you can simply copy the 3dsmax.ini file with the correct paths. Just let me point out, that apart from the [BitmapDirs] section there are several other 3ds Max settings saved in the 3dsmax.ini file, and not always it would be a good idea to replace them with "another computer settings". Anyway, if these computers are always used just as render nodes, there shouldn't be any problem.

Let me add, that generally, we recommend resolving all references used by Forest with the Asset Tracker to absolute UNC paths. It's not necessary, but usually, this way you avoid any texture path issues while using distributed rendering. The "default" file handling is controlled by 3ds Max and could be adjusted under Options - Preference Settings - File Handling - Convert file paths to UNC. This way all your scenes should use UNC paths.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,

JM2145

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2023, 12:35:44 PM »
3dsmax.ini file?

I've not edited anything in the .ini file.

My original question was how can I direct all of the forest pack paths in my screenshot to point to a different folder?  Or is the only way to do it manually for each path?  Was there an easier way to automate it as there are quite a few paths, and I have 3 PC's to congifure it on.

JM2145

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2023, 12:37:24 PM »
Also please assume I'm not technical at all.  So .ini files and .reg files take me a while to get my head around :)

Also the post you linked to with instructions contains links to other posts that are no longer available which makes it even more confusing.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2023, 01:30:08 PM »
Well, all of these assets are treated in the same way as any other asset within the scene – the corresponding path(s) should be mapped under the 3ds Max configuration Customize - Configure User Paths - External files stored in 3dsmax.ini.

In the case of the interactive session, it’s not necessary to configure these paths manually - when Forest is loaded, it's checking if these paths exist, and if not, all of them could be added automatically (the plug-in shows a warning message).

In the case of render nodes, copying these paths manually would be most probably the easiest & quickest way to configure those, but the way mentioned above it also possible.

Best regards,