Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: FP Crashes after lib opens  (Read 669 times)

CM1251

FP Crashes after lib opens
« on: January 14, 2024, 02:08:22 PM »
I've noticed an issue since updating to v8.2.5 where when I open the asset window, click my asset to load and then down the road, more often than not, it will hang 3ds Max to the point I need to kill the task and relaunch.  In a screen capture I took, it happens the first time and seems to hang around the point FP is trying to load in the thumbnails. The second time I tried, the issue didn't present itself after 3ds decided to just close unexpectedly (as it does). But it does happen and it happens enough that it's beginning to impede my productivity.

https://tj-viz.fromsmash.com/FP-Crash-CM1251 (Link good until Feb 4)

There is a project on the go right now that doesn't open on my work laptop but does on my workstation, albeit it takes 30 +/- minutes to open. And each time FP crashes because it gets stuck loading thumbnails, that's 30+ minutes gone waiting for the file to reopen plus another however-long to redo the work lost. This FP library hang does happen on both my work laptop and workstation, specs below:

Laptop: Dell Precision M7730 | i7-8750H | 128GB RAM | Quadro P3200 | 1TB SSD (OS) + 4TB SSD (FP Lib) + 2TB SSD (Other) | 3ds Max 2020.3.8 | FP 8.2.5
Workstation: BOXX Apexx 4 | 2x Xeon E5-2630 v3 | 256GB RAM | Quadro M4000 | 512GB SSD (OS) + 8TB HDD (FP Lib+Other) | 3ds Max 2020.3.8 | FP 8.2.5

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: FP Crashes after lib opens
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2024, 08:50:17 AM »
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you're facing these troubles. We're running some tests here, but so far, we haven't been able to reproduce it. Since it may be something specific to your configuration, please feel free to download the Process Explorer https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer and, during the freeze, locate the "3dsmax.exe" process. Once you've selected it, go to Process > Create Dump > Create Minidump..., save the file, compress it, and send it to us. Hopefully, this will help us identify the source of the problem.

Thank you in advance for any further comments regarding this issue that you can share with us or our user community (in case some users encounter similar problems).

Best regards,

CM1251

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2024, 12:53:47 PM »
Sure thing. I have ProcExplorer and will make a minidump the next time it happens.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2024, 01:06:01 PM »
I'm trying to reproduce this issue, because it would be related with a multithread process which rebuilds the thumbnails in background.

In my tests, everything seems correct (no freezes), but i noticed that thumbnails are rebuilt every time Browser is opened, when they should be reused.
This is caused by a bug in the code we introduced several versions ago.

Although that is not related with the freeze issue, it would trigger the problem more frequently.
I fixed this issue. Please, try this update and tell us if there is some difference. (outdated)

For Max 2021 and before, please overwrite ForestQtCatalog.dll in the 3DS Max root folder.
For Max 2022 and greater, copy it at C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\ForestPackPro2024\Contents\plugins\2024 (replace 2024 with your Max version).

« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 08:45:02 AM by iToo »
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

CM1251

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2024, 01:47:27 PM »
Hi Carlos, Michal,

I've included the minidump here:
https://tj-viz.fromsmash.com/3dsmax-minidump-CM1251 I also got a full dump just in case but its 12GB and may take time to upload for transfer.

Sure enough, after I said I would get you the dump file, the freeze happened again.  I found that it happens more often than not before the thumbnails are visible and I either scroll too fast or I change the size of the thumbs with the (+)/(-) buttons at the top.

But I do agree with you Carlos, it does get slower and slower each time it opens. Even generating thumbnails takes longer than it used to. But I hope my dump file helps.

I've downloaded the DLL and will let you know of any improvements.

CM1251

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2024, 09:07:25 PM »
Hi Carlos,

It happened again while scrolling and/or changing thumbnail size before said thumbnails had resolved. This is with the updated DLL you provided. New video linked.

https://tj-viz.fromsmash.com/Library-Freeze-2-CM1251

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2024, 10:46:37 AM »
Thanks, we continue investigating this issue.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2024, 08:44:21 AM »
I apologize for the delay.
I checked the thumbnails code in depth, and i found several problems (it was implemented by a former employee of iToo). So i have rewritten it completely.

Please, try this new update. Hopefully it should work much better.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

CM1251

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2024, 01:28:57 PM »
Thanks, Carlos. I will update the DLL and let you know (likely next week) if I face the same issue or not.

Edit: I loaded up Max just to see and sure enough the library browser already works so much better than it did before. But still, during I work next week, if the issue presents itself again, I'll let you know. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 01:37:17 PM by CM1251 »

CM1251

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2024, 06:27:46 PM »
I apologize for the delay.
I checked the thumbnails code in depth, and i found several problems (it was implemented by a former employee of iToo). So i have rewritten it completely.

Please, try this new update. Hopefully it should work much better.

Hi Carlos. I've used FP a few times since replacing that DLL and I haven't had any issues. I've replaced the DLL on both systems and all is good. Thank you for your help.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2024, 08:39:51 AM »
Hi Carlos. I've used FP a few times since replacing that DLL and I haven't had any issues. I've replaced the DLL on both systems and all is good. Thank you for your help.

That's great. We'll include these changes in the production plugin.

Thanks for the feedback.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software