Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Hide FP items outside region / crop render in custom edit mode?  (Read 1440 times)

UB8512

Hi

I was rendering bigger grass area with trees from top perspective camera, 260000 square meters. I have 16GB of RAM which doesnt allows me render whole area at once.
Everything was rendered in 4 crop render passes (red lines).. I was not able to use distance density falloff, because all grass items was necessary to see...so I was able only to create rectangular exclude area for grass, but not for other vegetation which was placed manually using custom edit mode.
Is there any way how to hide FP items outside region/crop render when I am using custom edit mode?

Q2: I am using corona, which is now only progressive renderer. But if I will use vray, will be it's bucket rendering mode efficient in terms of RAM and keeping there only necessary items for current rendering bucket? ..or it doesnt matter, because all FP items must be generated befor rendering starts and then they can be or cannot be swapped to disk?
...all grass and tree items was corona proxy objects

...probably with 16GB of RAM I will be not able to render similar big area at once in the future, but split render maybe on 2 crops will be still better than on 4 or more.

Thanks for help and answers.

max 2014, FP 5.3.2, corona 1.6

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Hide FP items outside region / crop render in custom edit mode?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 10:31:41 AM »
Hi,

From that distance using a texture (you might render a square patch of some bundled preset and use that as a map) for the surface would do most probably a really good job too. All trees may be "low-poly" to save system resources and provide faster render times.

A possible way would be to select these items in the sub-object level and perform Tree Editor - Detach - Detach Selection. This will separate these items into a new Forest object(s), which be easily hidden.

Also, with help of attached Forest Effect you can disable any items out of defined X & Y range based on the position of linked helper object.

fpItem.visible = if(fpItem.position.x>CenterPoint.x-(SizeX/2) && fpItem.position.x<CenterPoint.x+(SizeX/2) && fpItem.position.y>CenterPoint.y-(SizeY/2) && fpItem.position.y<CenterPoint.y+(SizeY/2),1,0);

Let me add, that Forest object needs to be at world origin. If it's not, the easiest workaround is to create a Dummy helper, align it to the FP object and then link the point helper to that. It resets the coordinates to match the forest object. Attaching a sample scene. Hope you'll find it handy.

Regarding your second question - the memory usage will be probably very similar as all items will be generated on the beginning of the rendering process.

Best regards,

UB8512

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 04:41:38 PM »
Tank you Michal,

both your solution are very usefull and inspirational. I will be certainly using them in the future. I started to add your effect to FP objects, but then I realized, that this will be not very practical, if I have 14 FP objects (some of them could by merged into one, but others not). So I was thinking this afternoon and I came up with this idea:

Create in left or front view another free camera horizontally with the ground and use this camera as camera object in every FP.
Set for camera almost maximum FOV, which will create my left border in my strip crop region and I can controll it with camera position and with this script I can controll position of right border in crop region.
Code: [Select]
for o in (getClassInstances Forest_Pro) do (
o.camera = $cCrop;
o.camfar = 150;
o.camauto = off;
o.camlimit = on;
)

Thank you again.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 05:17:46 PM »
Hi,

Nice idea. Big thanks for sharing it with us / the user community.

Best regards,