Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: interpenetration an issue?  (Read 1431 times)

simmsimaging

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 113
interpenetration an issue?
« on: February 03, 2012, 07:08:43 PM »
I just switched from a vraymesh as my source, to the original geometry, and RAM usage skyrocketed - which is expected I guess, and processing speed plummeted. Wondering if it really should be this slow going. Does it make a big difference to FPP if geometry is interpenetrating? Not when scattered, but the actual source geo?


iToo

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3319
    • iToo Software
Re: interpenetration an issue?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 11:15:14 AM »

Theorically, there not should be a great difference between using proxies or meshes. The amount of memory required for a specific geometry is constant, the difference is that using proxies the render engine can unload it dinamically, if the system if running low memory. In any case, Forest stores an unique copy of the object, because all the scattered items are instances of the source.

I know there was a severe performance hit in VRay, when the scattered items (technically the voxels) intersect between them. But this problem was discussed in the ChaosGroup forum, i don't know if they fixed this issue in the latest releases. However, this affects only to the items, not to the source geometry.

I think would be a different problem in your scene. If you like, send us a copy and we will check it.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

simmsimaging

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 113
Re: interpenetration an issue?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 10:06:26 PM »
I'm not really sure what happened there. I had a nested FPP object and the source (nested) FPP was using vraymesh as source geometry which was not rendering properly in the final FPP . I just switched that vraymesh for the actual geometry of that object and the render bogged down to the point where i had to just force quit Max as it was taking too long to even cancel. 

I will try to reproduce the problem in another file, but I had to move on from there to get something working and I have made too many changes to the files nad geometry now to find it exactly again.

in the end I did swap out for simpler geometry and that has been fine so far though.