Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Moving a scene from 2021 to 2023 moves/floats all forest objects in space  (Read 268 times)

KP4257

Hey, hope this is an easy solution. Never had an issue with forests when moving max / forest versions before. Someone on stack said they felt like they saw a fix for this released but I cannot find any mention of it on the forums after searching.

Basically, opened a scene made with forest 7 in max 2021 into max 2023. Max 2023 version of forest is 7.4.3, same as 2021, but the vray version changed to 6. All the forest objects are in the wrong place. The version of this file that opens in 2021, the forest objects sits in the spline boundary, on the surface - as expected. In 2023, it is floating higher than the surface and way further north.
Stupidly I did not think to check, turned the layer off for better viewport speed, and spent all week working on the file before I realized.

There's no z offset, the spline is in the right place, both spline and surface and xform reset.  Surfaces have been refreshed and set to auto.
Turning the spline boundary off and turning the surface area on also has it in the wrong place - except for some reason, all the forest objects are now underneath the surface and further to the south, the transformation makes no sense.
Tried clicking on so much stuff and cant figure out how to get it to work. Would love to hear how to fix this without recreating everything or staying in 2021.

Since I posted on stack and someone mentioned they'd seen a fix, I updated the max 2023 version to forest 8.2.2. It did not help. the position of the forest scatter is actually different to what it was with 7.4.3... but still wrong.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Hi, this is a strange issue, and the easiest thing is probably to send us a simplified version of your scene to helpdesk@itoosoft.com. One thing that springs to mind though is groups, there have been some reports of Forest objects that are in groups having different positions after an upgrade. This normally affected FP upgrades though rather than 3ds Max.

Thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software