Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Problem Forest Material+Material Standard  (Read 4271 times)

KF3274

Problem Forest Material+Material Standard
« on: November 16, 2014, 04:58:00 PM »
I state that I use Max 2015 and Vray 3.0 (SO windows 7 64-bit)

I just upgraded to version 425 Forest.

I see a big problem!

The material for 2D panels "Forest Material 425" will NOT work with the "Material Standard".

From my test only works using the combination "Forest Material + VRayMtl"
or by using only the "Material Standard".

I send you attached my test.

In the test files are in * .png, but the problem also in jpg and other formats ..

Let me know by now all my libraries do not work in 2D.

These libraries functioned in version max 2015 Vray 2.50 and Forest 424.

Thank you for your attention.

Torri Lorenzo

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Problem Forest Material+Material Standard
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 06:18:19 PM »
This is a known limitation of V-Ray 3. ChaosGroup is deprecating their support for standard materials. Now you must use Forest Material + VRayMtl.

Anyway, there is an easy procedure to convert your libraries:

1) Load the library using LoadMaterialLibrary in the Maxscript listener (F11). E.g.: loadMaterialLibrary "c:\\tmp\\2d.mat".
2) Use Utilities->Forest Tools->Material Optimizer to convert the library materials to V-Ray (see screenshot for reference).
3) Save the library to a new file. E.g. saveMaterialLibrary "c:\\tmp\\2d-vray.mat".

I hope that helps.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

KF3274

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 05:38:55 PM »
Ok changed all libraries.

thanks

RobH2

• Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a bit
    • NVision4D
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 05:58:33 PM »
I'm having dark tree issues even after I convert materials to Vray in the modify menu. I see this short topic about converting the resaving the materials. I don't have any files named '2d.mat' on my system to open via Listener. Can you give a better step-by-step explanation of what to do? Also, the shot of the 'Optimize' panel shows all but one radio button unchecked. By default, all of mine ARE checked. What settings should I use, the default or what I see here?
ForestPack Pro 6.3.1, RailClone 4.2.13, 3ds Max (Max 2024), GIGABYTE X570 AORUS x570 Master Motherboard, RTX4090, Ryzen 9 3950x CPU, Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler, 128 GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4 Ram, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 11:08:40 AM »
Hi,

I would say, there is no "universal settings" for the Material Optimizer tool as each model (material) may require different approach.

In case of these materials done by Xfrog, I would suggest to check always the Disable Filtering for Opacity Maps option, which usually improves the overall rendering performance significantly. The RGB Level value would differ upon model, so hard to say which value suits for the most of them. An example of recommendable settings you can find in attached screenshot.

As commented in this "HQ plants vs XFrog" related post: "... as far as we know Xfrog has done material changes on its models and most of them should be "V-Ray 3 ready" now.

I would suggest you to get in contact directly Xfrog Inc by using this form."

Best regards,