Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: strange behavior...  (Read 2120 times)

TB3867

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 6
strange behavior...
« on: April 21, 2010, 09:44:25 PM »
I have an extremely poly-heavy scene that I have broken up into many different chunks, then I xref'ed the whole thing back together.  In the main file (not xref'ed) I have placed 4 Forests that use 4 different 'include splines' and several vrayproxies.  All of the splines and vrayproxies are loaded directly in the scene.  Nothing associated with the forest is xref'ed.  So... I xref in all the buildings, then created the forests - everything is okay.  I save the file, then open it and the forest objects are mis-aligned to the include splines.  If I detach some of the xrefs, resave, then close and re-open the file, the forests look okay again.  Then I have to re-attach the xrefs and render.  It doesn't seem to be a problem with any one xref in particular.  I have 7 xrefs.  If I delete any two of them the forest works fine.  Any idea what is happening?

I am using win7, max 2008, vray 1.5 sp4a, and Forest Pro 3.3.1

iToo

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3151
    • iToo Software
Re: strange behavior...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 07:35:57 PM »

We have received your scene sent by email, and after some tests we have found the problem:

It's a bug in a function of the MAX SDK. The function must return a reference to the Forest object, but instead that, it returns a reference to the last object in the XRef scene. Because this, Forest reads some wrong values and creates the items misaligned.

The bug seems to be in all Max versions (it fails in 2011 as well), but strangely i cannot to reproduce it creating new Forest objects... only fails with the Forest objects included in your test scene. Not only that, but if create a copy of the wrong Forest object (cloning it)... the new Forest works fine in all conditions. I've used Max 2009 and 2011 because actually i have not 2008 installed (no idea if would be some relation)

Please, try that: create a copy of the Forest objects (Edit->Clone-Copy) and delete the originals. Save the scene, reset and reload it. Tell me if there is some change.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

TB3867

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 6
Re: strange behavior...
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 07:48:41 PM »
Tried your fix - file works now!  Thanks!