Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: 1/2 Running Bond  (Read 7218 times)

UP1808

1/2 Running Bond
« on: July 25, 2014, 06:14:15 PM »
Hi!

How can I create a floor with square tiles placed like the "1/2 Running Bond" 3dsmax Tile Map?

The odd rows along Y direction (in a Array 2S generator) are offset on the right the distance like half tile width.

Thank you.

xpp_nd_ruphus

• Portfolio
Re: 1/2 Running Bond
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 06:41:38 PM »
you should watch parquet floor tutorial, it explains principles how to make your pattern

JTP Vis

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 06:51:56 PM »
I agree with xpp_nd_ruphus, but here is a little something I threw together.

Take a look at the file I've attached.

I've used a sequence operator, with a translate operator on the second slot to make the second row offset. The translate uses padding to create the offset.

I hope that is useful.

Bill

UP1808

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 03:53:56 PM »
Thank you guys.

I thought I can solve this little situation alone, but I really don't know how to do, so I'd like to show to you the whole "problem", if you can just let me know if RailClone can help in this situation or not.

Final task is to create a quad geometry with grid oh holes

Manual Method for understand (no RailClone)

Step1
www.ossosso.com/scambio/shoot001.jpg
A simple planar geometry with some subdivision

Step2
www.ossosso.com/scambio/shoot002.jpg
Convert in EditPoly and select the polygon I want to Scale and Delete

Step3
www.ossosso.com/scambio/shoot003.jpg
The selected polygons have been scale proportionally and deleted. Between each square in both vertical and orizontal the distance is the same

Step4:
www.ossosso.com/scambio/shoot004.jpg
Apply a TurboSmooth modifier

That's what I should obtein.
The problem in this case is that for my model the distance between each square horizontally (X way) is higher then vertically (Y way)
www.ossosso.com/scambio/shoot005.jpg
and turbosmooth:
www.ossosso.com/scambio/shoot006.jpg

I'm made a little mistake, the pair row (the 2nd, the 4th) have always -1 hole:
www.ossosso.com/scambio/shoot007.jpg

Anyway the total grid is larger, n. 27 holes for the X (26 in the 2d, 4th, 6th, etc.) and n. 38 along the Y.

To do it manually like I did for this example si quite time consuming (even if it's more time consuming to find a way with RailClone 'cause I'm not a pro user :) ), but aboveall the reason I'd like to use RailClone is because at the end I want the possibility to change a bit the "radius"/scale of the holes and the distance to better make the 3d model similar tot he real one (I've no technical draw).

That's all.

Do you think RailClone could help in some way?
No wait... I'm pretty sure it can, 'cause there is a logic method behind the resul... so the real question is.. do you think do you have time to help me to build a RailClone structure? :)

Thanks anyway!

Rokas

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 05:38:50 PM »
I have made similar style while learning the software:

I basically used this method:

Rokas

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 08:48:06 PM »
Hi,

Rokas solution works well and is much simpler and more flexible that the file that I have attached. However if maintaining a quad based output that can be turbosmoothed is important then here's an approach that might help.

Firstly, break down the array into sections. I've tried to emulate the manual approach you showed in your post and created these segments.

Now recreate a 2D array using these segments. To create the offset I've used sequence operators and to ensure the segments line up correctly you will need to adjust many of the segment's Padding values. You can check out the attached file for more specifics.

Finally add a Vertex Weld operator above the RailClone object and then a Turbosmooth.

Note though that doing this will remove the instances. RailClone will now be rendering as a full mesh.

Here's a before and after adding those two modifiers:

I hope that helps, with a bit more time it may be possible to simplify that a little but hopefully it'll give you an idea of how to approach it.

Many thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software