Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: chokes are whistling on mobo(probably)  (Read 1657 times)

NL4355

chokes are whistling on mobo(probably)
« on: July 23, 2023, 06:23:49 PM »
It's kind of weird, but despite I've changed the CPU not long time ago, and it's consuming more power, I've never heard that my chokes were whistling. I'd assume that my graphics card(because I had these problem with one app, that used heavily GPU ), but as my understanding Railclone, at stage of "preparing geometry" in corona render, shouldn't use GPU(?).
 More detailed explanation: I have an exterior scene, with fairly a lot of forest pack and railclone parts,( before continue I must say, that this problem only with railclone), and at the moment when I press render those noises appear, mostly  probably when RC being converted into geometry.
  It's my particular case(PC) or it's some sort of a bug? Maybe railclone is doing something extreme?  :D

And one more important thing, even if I choose in RC to show everything as "Mesh", RC still take twice the time to start render, compared to if I convert every RC into actual geometry.

RC 5.2.8

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: chokes are whistling on mobo(probably)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2023, 10:30:11 AM »
Hi,

That's really strange – the RailClone plug-in isn’t using the GPU for any of its calculations and up to now, we don't have any similar issue reported. Also, all view-port rendering is handled by 3ds Max and the RailClone plug-in has no influence on it. Would you mind trying to change temporary the 3ds Max's display driver to check if there is some difference (Customize > Preferences > Viewports > Choose Driver)? Any additional info is welcome.

Thanks in advance for any further details on this issue you can share about it with us / our user community (in case some user(s) will run into similar troubles).

Best regards,

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2023, 11:30:33 AM »
And one more important thing, even if I choose in RC to show everything as "Mesh", RC still take twice the time to start render, compared to if I convert every RC into actual geometry.

RC always is going to take more time, because is a parametric object which must be rebuild periodically. More specifically when scene is loaded, before rendering, and when a parameter or input (geometry or spline) changes.

A standard mesh, is faster to render because stores the full geometry in raw. But this requires much more memory, and in some cases may be impossible to create a mesh, if the object is huge.
Instead, RC creates render instances when possible, keeping a single copy of each segment in memory. This is much more efficient to render for large objects.

If your RC objects take much time to build, we suggest to use Display->Proxy Cache. This features "bakes" the content of RC, improving significatively loading and render times.

By the way, Display->'Mesh' is the less efficient mode for viewport.
We suggest to use 'Quick Mesh' instead. It creates instances for viewport, using the advanced capabilities of Nitrous.

Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

NL4355

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2023, 03:07:02 PM »
Hi,

That's really strange – the RailClone plug-in isn’t using the GPU for any of its calculations and up to now, we don't have any similar issue reported. Also, all view-port rendering is handled by 3ds Max and the RailClone plug-in has no influence on it. Would you mind trying to change temporary the 3ds Max's display driver to check if there is some difference (Customize > Preferences > Viewports > Choose Driver)? Any additional info is welcome.

Thanks in advance for any further details on this issue you can share about it with us / our user community (in case some user(s) will run into similar troubles).

Best regards,

Thanks for the response. I did try change graphics mode, this what happen:

OpenGL: no whistling when no Railclone, and Crash upon loading the scene with Railclone.
Direct9: still whistling, but maybe a little less.

I could try to pinpoint the source of the whistling, but in my earlier experience it's very difficult to tell for sure.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2023, 08:37:59 AM »
That’s interesting. Can you please save and send us  the minidump file of the crash? Thanks in advance for any further comments on this issue you can share with us.

Best regards,

NL4355

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2023, 01:50:11 PM »
That’s interesting. Can you please save and send us  the minidump file of the crash? Thanks in advance for any further comments on this issue you can share with us.

Best regards,

I would send you minidump, but as it's stated in your rules, you analyze only the latest version if plugins and what I have is not the latest.
 Whatever in error windows is information that crashed module is glu32.dll,  which I found to be OpenGL library asset, so probably it's  my PC software configuration, and still I don't need to work in OpenGL mode anyway, because it's slow and limited.

NL4355

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2023, 06:49:10 PM »
I'm aware that the chokes noise is just could be annoying, but else, it's a sign that something is working not as it needs to be. So I did some test, and yes, I have the same version of RC installed as was previously. I tried to lower the multiplier of my CPU to the minimum(35(instead of 42)) and power limit by 165W(instead of 200-210W), the CPU before(new one) did not exceeded that value.
 Result is: choke are whistling less, but still noise exist.
 Of course it could be indicator that I have weak VRM, but none of the processes do such thing besides Railclone, and while it doing that it not consuming anything near even 165W, so it's different kind of load. So I want to figure out what cause that stress to the VRM. By the way my VRM support load up to 260W or even 280W, don't remember actual proportion of amperes and volts.
 To reproduce this noise I only needed switch from Disabled to Embedded in Proxy Cache. I want to upload the scene, but it's around 10MB with just RC elements, so I can't.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2023, 09:14:53 AM »
Hi,

In such a case, please feel free to send us your scene, ideally simplified and containing only the problematic object(s). Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

NL4355

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2023, 03:54:23 PM »
I did send the scene. But one thing I found out, is that noise is exist in 3ds max 2023, but almost quiet in 3ds max 2022.