Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Corner mullions  (Read 595 times)

CM2843

Corner mullions
« on: June 07, 2020, 02:32:38 AM »
I'm creating a basic façade and I'm looking to make more precise corner mullions. First image is railclone.
I would like to make it like the second image (I manually made the 3 corner mullions)

Dragan

Re: Corner mullions
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 08:11:00 AM »
Hi
Do you need a solution just for the corner mullions or you want more parameters for a better setup  (height, evenly, middle bar position, etc).
I can see that your middle bar is not just a simple `box` but contains some kind of `toggle`
A simple scene with some segments for a start will be useful. Please downgrade the file to Max2017/2018.

CM2843

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 07:08:37 PM »
I just need the corner mullion. If they were all 90 degree corners I could just add new segment, but I'm looking for a parametric solution to the corners that would give me the same result as the ones I made manually for any angle.

Thanks

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 05:41:34 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for this question. It's a challenging one because really RailClone needs to be able to generate or modify the geometry on the corner mullion, which is not really possible.

That said, here's a macro which uses a bit of a workaround to create something that I hope will help out. In order to use it you must create the corner geometry in 3 parts: a pointed start, a default section and a tail.

Just attach those and the other segments to the corresponding parts of the macro. You can see how this geometry is aligned and created in the attached file. Apart from the, using the macro should be pretty self-explanatory.

Hope it helps,

Paul
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 06:43:41 PM by Paul Roberts »
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

Dragan

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 06:28:01 PM »
Great solution Paul!
I wanted to take a look at it this weekend. I had a similar solution but no idea of how to solve corner mathematics. This solution is great I learned a lot from it. Thank You.
Believe it or not, I still have trouble understanding the segment#role attribute.  :-[
Best Regards.

CM2843

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 09:08:55 PM »
Thank you for creating this :D

Could you save it as Max2016?

Dragan

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 10:56:32 PM »

Dragan

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2020, 11:29:57 PM »
You will probably notice small gaps in the mullion's start/end connection with default segments.
An easy fix is to delete top/bottom faces on the segments.
And make sure that all vertices are aligned.
The Generator is fine. I think those are 3Dsmax`s imperfection and you always have to check everything twice  :o

« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 07:33:20 AM by Dragan »