Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Curb  (Read 692 times)

Bobby Parker

Curb
« on: August 22, 2023, 05:23:19 AM »
I have a small development, and like always, I am using Railclone for the curb. However, it is painfully slow. I am talking Quick Mesh takes 2-3 minutes (screen locks up) each time I do anything on screen. Everything is turnned off, excpet for the Railclone and a spline. I don't recall it ever being this slow.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Curb
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2023, 08:22:23 AM »
Hi,

Well, it's really hard to say, what's happening exactly in your scene just from the provided description. Did you try other display modes to see if there's any significant difference?

It might be related to the "automatic rebuilding" of the RC object on several 3ds max events. By having the "Auto" option disabled (by setting the update mode of RailClone to "manual"), it'll be not "built" so often. Apart from directly disabling this option from the RC object, you might disable the corresponding option by maxcript: $.autoUpdate = off; or by using the RailClone Lister.

Let me mention, that using the recently introduced Proxy Cache feature would be highly recommendable for these purposes. It's very efficient - it'll load and render much faster because RailClone doesn't need to perform so many calculations to rebuild them, which is especially useful for complex styles. In theory, there shouldn't be any significant difference between the Embedded / External mode though the Embedded might be a bit faster.

Big thanks for any further feedback.

Best regards,

Bobby Parker

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2023, 07:31:38 PM »
I had to clean up the spline, removing as many vertexes that I could. I tried a sweep and I had the same issue. Problem solved.

Dragan

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2023, 10:43:49 PM »
Changing vertices to smooth could help because most RC presets use just a corner and bezier corner vertices for corner segments so smooth vertices will be ignored (used for default distributions).
So, a good practice when you have a spline with many vertices is to select all, change to smooth, and then select just the corners and change them to a corner or bezier corner.