Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: facade pattern not tiling  (Read 2426 times)

Theo

facade pattern not tiling
« on: May 10, 2018, 09:42:46 AM »
Wanting to try and get more use out of RC but struggling to get this pattern to tile across multiple angled faces in a line.

I have an object with a pattern modelled into it that tiles fine but when i draw a clipping area spline across the angled faces (1 spline for each face but 1 spline object as a whole) at the end of each face it doesnt continue the pattern where it ended on the face before it.

Whats the best way to handle something like this?

Rokas

Re: facade pattern not tiling
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 10:08:54 AM »
Hi,

It is hard to give You any tip without testing it on Your scene. Please attach it so we can see what can be done in Your case.
Rokas

Theo

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 12:18:11 PM »
Hi,

It is hard to give You any tip without testing it on Your scene. Please attach it so we can see what can be done in Your case.

Hi sorry just in the middle of stuff. Cant upload the file right now. its pretty much a zigzag shape (but a bit more subtle) with a pattern following across it. i just need it to continue and bend round each angle rather than stopping and starting again. I think maybe not using a clipping area would be better so that it follows a spline at the base and then using a clipping area to cut the tops off rather than using it as the area to fill. but i think those only project in one axis? so not sure how that would affect when the building returns down the side.

not sure this is making sense. if i can get the file up later i will.

Rokas

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 01:11:20 PM »
I think maybe not using a clipping area would be better so that it follows a spline at the base and then using a clipping area to cut the tops off rather than using it as the area to fill.

That would be my suggestion too.
Rokas

Theo

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 04:09:02 PM »
I think maybe not using a clipping area would be better so that it follows a spline at the base and then using a clipping area to cut the tops off rather than using it as the area to fill.

That would be my suggestion too.

That method worked! The only issue is it ends with the object sliced open on the end. I cant seem to offset where the objects start instancing from along the spline without it shifting the whole thing along and leaving empty space.
I just need an X offset to push it along a little till it ends on a whole object but there is only Z and Y offsets =/

Rokas

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 04:22:25 PM »
Try to use X transform on segment node. Also disable slicing in the same node segment.
Rokas

Theo

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 04:36:40 PM »
I think i've done it, had to adjust clipping spline to snip the end off from x transform but the end piece is whole now. Thank you