Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Help with array 2s?  (Read 4367 times)

JulesM

Help with array 2s?
« on: December 14, 2017, 01:37:55 PM »
Hi,
I am trying to create an array of cubes on the outer and inner surface of the object in the attachment, but I'm having difficulty.
I would like the array to wrap around the object in the configuration shown in the 3rd image.
I used the 'create shape from selection' command  to make a spline from the outer edge of the model (spline x), and created a second straight line for spline y.
No matter what I try I haven't managed to have the cubes stacked vertically, throughout the whole curve.
Any ideas how I can achieve this?

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Help with array 2s?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 02:01:56 PM »
Hi Jules,

The Deform > Vertical mode (the geometry stays vertical, but the vertices are moved in the Z-axis to match the elevation of the path) would be recommendable for such Segment. Hope that helps and please feel free to upload your scene and we'll check it.

Best regards,

JulesM

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 03:12:02 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply! I have vertical but it doesn't seem to change anything.
Here is the scene: https://we.tl/JHOrik8DYz
I'm very new to Railclone so its hard to troubleshoot

JulesM

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 06:05:38 PM »
Did anyone have a look at the model?
It looked relatively simple to achieve in railclone, hence my reason to invest, Although I still haven't managed to resolve this.
Does anyone know how I can achieve this array?
Thanks

JulesM

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 06:36:19 PM »
It seems like the issue is caused by the transition in slope.
The 2nd image I posted is using a path constraint on the object, and the snapshot tool in 3dsmax, which appears correctly.
I would have used this from the beginning if I needed the segments to be aligned vertically on world axis, but as you can see in previous posts they need to be aligned on their local z axis.
I've had very little experience with Railclone, but I definitely thought I would be able to resolve this after several few hours of trial an error.
Anyone know how I can achieve this?
At this stage even a workaround using Linear 1S would be good. Any suggestions are very much appreciated!

JulesM

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 06:17:50 PM »
Nobody?

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 09:34:07 AM »
Hi, i apologize for the delay in replying. We had many support cases the latest days, and part of our team is on vacation.

Please, take a look the attached scene. I made the following changes:

- Align the RC object with the world coordinates, to be sure Z axis is up (Hierarchy panel->Affect Pivot Only->Reset to World and Affect Object Only->Reset to World).
To get this orientation when creating new RC objects, just create them in the Top viewport.

- Click Display->Build to force rebuild RC with the new alignment.

- I deleted the Y Spline and assigned a value to Array 2S->Y Size (initially 70cm.). Usually it's easier to use this method for straight 2D Arrays (X Spline + Y Size), because result is more predictable.
In this way the Y axis always is perpendicular to X. If not, Y direction will depend of the orientation of the Y spline, and sometimes may be confuse.

- To rotate the array, set Array 2S->X Rotation to -90º. Alternatively, you can use X Rotation = 90º and Y Size = -70 cm.

- In the Segment properties, turn off Deform->Bend and Slice (we don't like the box is deformed in any way), and enable Stepped mode. (you can see in the documentation how works each mode).

Once the array is created in the way we like:

- Attach both splines (inner and outer), so a single RC object can be used for both sides.

- Move the spline along Z axis to its position.

- Edit spline and "Reverse" each sub-spline, if array is created in the wrong side of the wall (it was necessary in this case).

- Adjust Array 2S->Y Size visually, to get the desired height.

- Several boxes are generated beyond of the spline's end (this happen because Segment->Slice is off, and they are not cutted). To fix it, set Array 2S->Rules->Default Mode to Adaptive.

I hope that helps. If you have any question, please don't hesitate to ask.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 09:47:11 AM by iToo »
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

JulesM

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 07:40:51 PM »
Thanks for the help, I really appreciate you taking the time to look into this!
Ideally I want the segments orientated perpendicular to the slope (like in the 3rd image of my first post), is this possible?

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 02:17:39 PM »
Hi,

Please see the attached file for a possible solution.

This style is trickier that it looks! Here's a possible solution, I hope it meets your needs.

1 - Create a spline in the top viewport the length and angle of the handrail. Use this to create a single column of boxes using an L1S Generator,.
2 - Create a second RailClone object using an L1S Generator and use the existing handrail splines.
3 - For the segment, pick the first RailClone object. Rotate the segment 90 degrees on the Y axis. Set the Z Axis to top so that the geometry is below the spline.
4 - Set the deform mode to stepped.
5 - Adding Clipping splines to remove the boxes that extend past the ends.

I hope that helps, It's not an ideal solution because you will need to adjust the angle manually, but gets most of the way there.

All the best,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

JulesM

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 03:34:33 PM »
Yes it certainly is tricky, I spent nearly a week trying to figure it out. 
This is perfect thank you, very much appreciated!