Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: How would one achieve this?  (Read 2893 times)

Macker

How would one achieve this?
« on: May 03, 2017, 01:21:49 PM »
hey guys,

I'm about to set out making a cladding system such as this: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/93/8a/ae/938aaedc36787bd60b3c78447db17869.jpg

It appears that all of the panels are roughly the same size, but with completely random coursings. I'd like to be able to achieve this and then use half a dozen or so textures at random to control diffuse and reflections. Any ideas?

Also note in this image the detail at the top: http://architizer-prod.imgix.net/media/145773342971527978_04_111382.jpg?q=60&auto=format,compress&cs=strip&w=1680

Presumably this could be controlled with a clipping spline?

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: How would one achieve this?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 03:51:41 PM »
Hi,

Adjusting Segment's Properties - Transform - Random > Translation (& Scale) in combination with the Material Operator (& UVW XForm Operator) should do the trick. Let me mention, that in the RailClone Pro 3.0.1 beta has been implemented the RailClone Color map, which might be very handy for this kind of situations.

Best regards,
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 05:23:14 PM by Michal Karmazín »

Macker

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 04:38:06 PM »
Thanks for the advice, though I am not sure where to find the rollout that you've posted a screenshot of?

I've done a quick "save selected" from my scene (attached) as I'm unsure about how to get the style set up? I tried using the mesh as a "surface" node, but that didn't work. I did manage to grab a spline and create a 2S array that went the height of the building, but didn't taper in and follow the curvature correctly.

Genuinely perplexed.

Macker

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 10:36:59 AM »
This is about as close as I've managed to get :(

As you can see there are a lot of issues! Max file attached

I really can't think of a way to achieve this, short of re-drawing all of those splines(!) that were extracted from the geometry, or somehow using an Array2s (really not very good with that)?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 10:41:15 AM by Macker »

Macker

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 03:06:16 PM »
Not achievable then? I guess I'll just have to map it :(

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 03:52:18 PM »
Hi,
" where to find the rollout that you've posted a screenshot of?"
My apologies, I pasted a wrong image (it's fixed).

In my opinion, your approach would be the recommendable way - build the RC object based on "section splines" of such surface. Having lines closer might work better in this case - I've used the SectionSKAN script in the attached scene to get them easily. To get more items, negative Padding values can be used. Attaching modified scene. Hope that helps a bit.

Another possible approach might be to use the work-flow described in this thread or using the Forest Pack plug-in in the UV mode, might be a possible option too.

Best regards,

Macker

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 04:53:05 PM »
Great stuff, thank you for the help. I started resigning myself to doing it with a texture - but it's just not the same!