Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Linear 1S: multiple segments one upon the other.  (Read 4778 times)

UP1808

Linear 1S: multiple segments one upon the other.
« on: April 19, 2014, 11:49:07 AM »
Hi!

Target:
To cover a wall with a geometry similar to sunscrees using a single spline like path

Imagine the Sweep modifier in 3dsmax; I simply create a path running all around the building, then using a circular section I apply the sweep modifier and I obtein a simple "pipe" running around the building. Then, using the array tool with an offset translation of 10cm, I create a lot of instances along the vertical Z axis. So the building is completely cover by this sort of horizontal lines.

I'd like to use the RailClone plugin to do that 'cause can be variable the 10cm distance between a line and the other, I mean that is always a fix value but yet it's not fixed to 10cm, can be set to a different value accordly with client desire; and also the height of the building can change. So I don't want to use 3dsmax tool, then delete all and create again, I'd lke it to be parametric, both distance between the lines and total number of lines.

I suppose the 2d array allows it, but if I can control just with a spline it will be more "comfortable".

Thank you very much.

iToo

• Administrator
    • iToo Software
Re: Linear 1S: multiple segments one upon the other.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 01:33:05 PM »
Yes, it can can done with the array generator:

1) Create a "pipe" segment of any length, for example using Sweep.
2) Add an array generator, set X Rotation = 90º to make the structure vertical.
3) Add the Segment together a Transform operator. We'll use it to modify the Top padding.
4) Export Transform->Top padding and link it to a Numeric node (to modify easily its value).
5) Optionally, export also Generator->Y Size.

In this way, you can change easily the separation between pipes using the Top padding, and the full height with Y Size. To modify the pipe, just edit the Sweep modified.

I've attached a sample scene. If you have any question, don't hesitate to ask me.
Carlos Quintero
iToo Software

UP1808

Re: Linear 1S: multiple segments one upon the other.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 07:29:43 PM »
Damn man! It's working :)

Thank you very much!