Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Link all the Railclone pro objects to a moving object ?  (Read 1360 times)

cc8boy

• I'll do my best.Welcome to www.c7design.cn .
    • C7design
Link all the Railclone pro objects to a moving object ?
« on: April 21, 2016, 07:23:49 AM »
Hello everybody,
I am working on a project about Train.
I would like to use Railclone pro to arrange my seats in my train carriages. But the carriage will be always moving during animation.
I grouped all the objects relatived to the RC object (including segments objects, path objects, RC system, Clipping objects, surface objects), and link the group to the Main Bone of the carriage. Is this correct way to link all the Railclone pro objects to a moving object ?
But I saw most of the tutorials were about Railclone being used in static objects.

If I want to duplicate the carriage (including all the seats in Railclone object.) in instance mode (I want to save memory) , what can I do ? Can you give me some instruction ?

MAX2012 64bit|VR 2.403|dual X5650|Railclone pro 2.50|FP 4.6
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 07:46:33 AM by cc8boy »
We are working hard in virtual effects in 3DSMAX. Welcome to our website in China.

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Link all the Railclone pro objects to a moving object ?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 04:07:09 PM »
Hi!

That sounds like an interesting project. There's an issue with instancing RailClone objects, including the base objects, as a group because you can't change the parameters of the instances separately (it would affect all objects). The answer could be to try the following.

1 - Create a single RailClone object using X Size, Y Size, or spline Base Objects.
2 - Turn on Free Object, found in the Style rollout. This allows you to move the RailClone object independently of it's base objects.
3 - Instance only the RailClone object, not the base objects. If you want to include this RC object in a Carriage group it shouldn't be a problem.
4 - Link the RC Object or the group containing the RC object to the bone.

Note that you you can't use clipping areas well with this technique because the clipping operation takes place after the object has been moved.

I've attached a simplified sample scene.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Many Thanks,

Paul

Paul Roberts
iToo Software