Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: RailClone and Forest Pack - Network Libraries  (Read 1839 times)

RF4522

RailClone and Forest Pack - Network Libraries
« on: October 10, 2018, 12:49:58 PM »
Hi There,

probably someone already stumbled across this and even created a post for it, but I didn't find exactly, what I was looking for.
At our office we use both railclone pro and forest pack pro. On each client in our network we have multiple users. Most employees use the same user account, but there are exceptions.
Since the introduction of the update manager, the texture paths have been moved to the user folders, which is a pain to deal with, when you have more than one user. We use the workstations for rendering. So when they are left on and fp and rc are not configured for every user, we have missing assets in our renders.
Our first solution was to copy all appdata for rc and fp from the account that installed the packages to the other users, but: this costs time and diskspace.
So our goal is to move everything to a network drive.
I managed to setup the rc and fp libraries on the network, change all paths in "customize user paths", but still rc is using maps from the "appdata" folder and I found no option to change this.
EDIT: after deleting all paths again, I managed to make rc use the network maps.

Also fp is using distance maps that are saved on the local harddrive, although the path has been deleted from costum user paths and the network path has been assigned.

Many thanks in advance for any help or redirection to an already existing topic.

We are running 3ds max 2018, fp 6.1.1, rc 3.20

So, it sum it up: Each user should use the same network path for all rc and fp elements. Is there a way to deactivate the rc standard library?

If you need any additional information, please tell me.

Best regards
Wojtek
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 12:55:36 PM by RF4522 »

Rokas

Re: RailClone and Forest Pack - Network Libraries
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 01:11:23 PM »
Hi

Please try to setup according to this guide with one precaution.
Seems like there is a bug which in case that both set of keys are defined, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE does not override HKEY_CURRENT_USER entries.
So DELETE HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry settings.

Let me know if that helped.
Rokas

RF4522

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 09:47:12 PM »
Hi Rokas,
thanks for your help.
I followed the guide and updated the registry keys on one of our machines. It worked. The RC library is now on our network drive.
Is there a similar solution for forest pack? So I could do this for all users on a machine (and on all our machines) without logging in into every user's account?
This is specifically interesting for the path of forest's distance maps.

Thanks again and best regards
Wojtek

Rokas

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 09:51:02 PM »
Hi

Yes- There is guide for ForestPack Too.

Regarding distribution maps it is not that interesting. They are installed with every ForestPack install at default location:
C:\Program Files\Itoo Software\Forest Pack Pro\distmaps\images

Which should be the same in all render nodes, right ?
Rokas

RF4522

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 09:10:29 PM »
Hi Rokas,

thanks again for your reply. I will follow the instructions.
I know that the distance maps are installed in the default directory, but I thought of adding custom maps and having them updated for all users.
Also, we had a very annoying issue here, where after switching from the last fp 5 to fp6 the path for the distance maps was still defined by the user paths and led to the old program files (x86).

Thanks again and best regards!
Wojtek