Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: RailClone distributed render, nodes not rendering RC objects  (Read 496 times)

DB4130

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 2
RailClone distributed render, nodes not rendering RC objects
« on: September 22, 2015, 07:15:16 PM »
Hello,

I've been experiencing a bug with railclone objects in certain, seemingly random, scenes when using vray distributed render in Max 2014. The render nodes will render the scene, but as if all of the railclone objects have been hidden/deleted. However, the local host, and for some reason one of 5 render nodes, will render the scene correctly (with RC objects). This causes a sort of checkerboard pattern, where any bucket rendered with the local host is correct, while any bucket rendered with a render node will not contain any railclone objects.

I've managed to isolate this to a specific railclone object within a scene. I had a scene with 4-5 different railclone objects, and everything was rendering correctly across all nodes. Then I created the last RC object, which triggered the issue. Once this issue has been triggered, it seems to carry through in the scene forever. Also, copying that particular railclone object into a new scene will bring the issue with it.

I've attached a simple .max scene that experiences the issue. It contains 2 railclone objects. One is from the default library that rendered fine when the scene was new, and then another that I copied into the scene that triggered the bug. There is also a box and a dome light. I also attached a screenshot showing what the checkerboard looks like rendering.

As far as I can tell it seems to be an issue with the railclone object itself, since copying it into an new scene causes the problem. But I can't figure out what it is about this particular object that is causing the issue. If I delete the problematic RC object and run the garbage cleaner script gc() in max script listener, then the first railclone object will start rendering again correctly. Rendering different camera angles, closing and reopening the scene, and resetting the local host as well as the render nodes do not solve the problem. All software is the same version on all machines (version 2.5.0).

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 07:39:44 PM by DB4130 »

Michal Karmazín

  • iToo Software
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1396
Re: RailClone distributed render, nodes not rendering RC objects
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 12:48:47 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for provided scene and all related information. At first sight, it looks like, it might be somehow related to duplicated object names "SM_Wood_Peg001" used by the style of the "RailClone003" object. I would suggest you to delete those two "unused & exactly named" objects and in the Style Editor click on the Reload Segment button. That should fix it.

Best regards,

DB4130

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 2
Re: RailClone distributed render, nodes not rendering RC objects
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 07:26:28 PM »
Ah, that was it! I'm not sure how that unused object got duplicated multiple times but your fix solved the problems. Thanks!

Edit: Actually I think I do know why it was duplicated. I used the copitor script to copy and paste between max files, and I think when copying a railclone object the script will copy any segments in the RC object and paste them, but I also copied and pasted the original objects as well. There were three because I originally made the style in a separate max file (one wood peg), used copitor to bring it into my scene (2x wood_peg001) and then used copitor to bring it into the clean scene (3x wood_peg001).
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 07:34:15 PM by DB4130 »