Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Random parameter problem on Blinds  (Read 3474 times)

DS5736

Random parameter problem on Blinds
« on: January 01, 2024, 09:06:48 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to create a railclone preset to make randomized blinds and am running into a problem. I have it set up so the the blinds use a random amount of flat/collapsed shades followed by the roughly correct number of tilted shades. The problem I'm having is that if I set the random parameter to "Generate on X-Spline Start" I do indeed get a random amount per shade but it doesn't seem to correspond to the actual amount being rolled up. If I set it to a Constant parameter and adjust the number (from 1-100), the amount rolled up is correct but of course they're all the same. The view below is with it set up using the random values and as you can see they don't correspond to the amount that should be rolled up (i.e., some of the less rolled up blinds have more flat sections than the ones that are more rolled up). Note that the full railclone setup is actually a lot more involved with cords, tops and bottoms, etc. but this is the only area I'm having a problem with. It's probably not the most efficient layout but it seems like it should work so what am I misunderstanding? Max 2020 scene attached too.

Railclone:

Thanks and Happy New Year,
David
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 03:31:23 AM by DS5736 »

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Random parameter problem on Blinds
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2024, 12:15:03 PM »
Hi David,

I would suggest that you use a slightly different style setup. If you "nest" the Array 2S1 Generator inside a Linear 1S1 Generator, you can set the Random Parameter mode to Generate on > Generator, which will do the trick. Please find attached the modified version of the provided scene (230102_Blinds_iToo.max). I hope that helps.

Best regards,

DS5736

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2024, 11:14:28 PM »
I would suggest that you use a slightly different style setup. If you "nest" the Array 2S1 Generator inside a Linear 1S1 Generator, you can set the Random Parameter mode to Generate on > Generator, which will do the trick. Please find attached the modified version of the provided scene (230102_Blinds_iToo.max). I hope that helps.
Thank you very much. I tried it and it does work in the case of the file I uploaded but not for the the full setup I'm working on where I'm trying to use the random roll-up parameter on multiple generators/segments to adjust several components: cords, pull cord length, etc. For example, in my full setup I have a different slat section that has a hole in it where each of the hanging cords are located (typically at each end and also in the middle depending on the length). I had these all piped in to a 2S array using the X-Evenly and Start/End Inputs which worked great but I can't take this and pipe it into the Linear 1S Generator since it depends on the length of the line segment. Alternatively, setting it up as (2) 2S generators results in different randomization for each portion - see the attached file. I'm beginning to thing it's not really possible to do what I'm after.

I've uploaded the full setup that hopefully illustrates the problems I'm having. The random on X-spline start option still sounds like the best option (generate a new random number for each section of the spline) but I think I'm getting tripped up on some of the behind the scenes hierarchy/logic.

Thanks,
David
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 02:19:17 AM by DS5736 »

DS5736

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 12:16:37 AM »
FYI, I was able to get this to work as I wanted to by jumping through some hoops (I think). The biggest revelation was that rather than using the Random parameter to set the height for each of the generators, I used the YsplineLength in an expression (which seems to get calculated based on the random rolled up height) divided by the full height of the windows (a variable I set).  This essentially gave me the height of each rolled up section of shade but it was unchanging since it's really only calculated once it seems.  In this setup I had the Random parameter set to Generate on X-Spline Start and to Sync on Generator.  Voila!

It still seems like the Generate on X-Spline Start should have the option to keep the random number for that spline, it would have made it a lot easier.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2024, 09:03:51 AM »
Great. I'm glad to hear that you've already sorted it out. Regarding the "initial style setup," we will check what can be done in future versions. It will need to be investigated more thoroughly by our main developers. Many thanks for all your feedback.

Best regards,

TL1895

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2024, 05:08:59 PM »
This would be a very useful style to add to itoo's library