Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Spline section cut?  (Read 1243 times)

IT1371

Spline section cut?
« on: January 12, 2017, 04:29:51 PM »
Hello,

I have this funny task to do and I don't have the words to describe it, so I just rather illustrate.

I have this "cube" built in Railclone.
Ortho view:

Side view:

One generator represents the lid, the 2nd generator represents the rest of this cube.

I need these vertexes (marked 1,2) to stretch automatically on their Y axis so they would always be on the same "surface" as the "destination face".
These vertexes will be moved only along the Y axis and X+Z axis will remain its position.

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Spline section cut?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 05:27:24 PM »
Hi,

What about using the Clipping area & X Rotation to constrain it to the edge? Attaching a sample scene of such set-up. Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 05:56:58 PM »
Hi,

Depending on what you're trying to achieve here's a slightly different approach that makes a rotatable lid for a box. You can see a little video of it working here: http://d.pr/v/GQyk

The file is attached, it basically scales the lid to match the dimensions of the box and then rotates it into place.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Many Thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

IT1371

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 02:10:16 PM »
Thanks for your replies. I tried what you suggested and it worked, but still some drawbacks I can't go around with.
Please see image attached I hope it would explain better what I am trying to do.

Also noticed another thing.
If you Z offset a Arrey 2S generator and then try to do some X rotation, it rotates around the original Z position instead of around the Z offset.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 02:12:44 PM by 3dcrgr »

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 07:01:29 PM »
Hi,

Please see the attached for another possible solution. It uses some trigonometry so that the height of the opened vertices always remains the same above the box. You can see a video of it working here:

http://d.pr/v/sfab

I hope that helps, it's a slightly complex style so please let me know if you have any further questions.

Many Thanks,

Paul

Paul Roberts
iToo Software

IT1371

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 09:05:58 AM »
Hi,

Please see the attached for another possible solution. It uses some trigonometry so that the height of the opened vertices always remains the same above the box. You can see a video of it working here:

http://d.pr/v/sfab

I hope that helps, it's a slightly complex style so please let me know if you have any further questions.

Many Thanks,

Paul

Hey Paul,

First of all thanks a lot for your aid.
But unfortunately this is not exactly what I was looking for.

Please view the scene attached... I hope you will see what I mean.
The style in the scene doesn't work, it just serves as a representation of what I actually trying to achieve.

Also, what about this that I wrote earlier?
Also noticed another thing
If you Z offset a Arrey 2S generator and then try to do some X rotation, it rotates around the original Z position instead of around the Z offset.
Is it a know issue or I am doing something wrong? Or it is just supposed to be like that?

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 01:46:35 PM »
Hi,

Please find attached sample style (using two Linear 1S generators and two trigonometric expressions to calculate translations), which might suit your needs. It can be placed anywhere in your scene as a "Free Object" - as it's build just on two Rotation & Length parameters (this way you don't need to change the Z Offset, which as you've pointed out isn't taken in account while using X Rotation). Hope you'll find it useful.

Best regadrs,

IT1371

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 09:56:48 PM »
Thank you for your help :)
It did work great for my need, but since I really need this to follow a closed spline I modified it a bit:
Code: [Select]
tan(Input1)*(XSplineLength)