Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Composed hexagon and transform issues  (Read 2619 times)

OB

Composed hexagon and transform issues
« on: July 04, 2016, 11:30:51 AM »
Hello
I've encountered a problem and i am stuck with it. So here we go,
We have 3 segments which should form a hexagon, like this

After that these hexagons should behave like usual segments - i should be able to adjust padding and form a hexagon tile, like this one

If you ask yourself why i need 3 separate segments - it's because i need to have control on randomizing their rotation, their Z size and material ID's along with UV's
So what i've started with is i created a Compose operator and adjusted these segments so they will form hexagon. Second is i tried to attach a transform node and tried to adjust padding, assuming that composed segments will act as one segment. But they do not. Transform node overwriten all the paddings before the compose node.
So i wanted to ask , is this normal behaviour ? I know that transform node overwrites couple of parameters including padding, but i thought that compose node is acting like a segment node with parameters binded.
If that is not the case and the behaviour is normal - can you give ma advice please on how i should make this ?
Thanks a lot !

Paul Roberts

• iToo Software
Re: Composed hexagon and transform issues
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 12:13:56 PM »
Hi!

Thanks for the question. The behaviour you're describing it correct. At the moment each object is affected by the transform operator individually. The best way to see the compose operator is as a way to combine objects so that multiple segments can be wired to a single input, not as a grouping tool. We are however looking at ways to incorporate the behaviour you describe where groups of objects can be manipulated as though they are a single segment.

Until then you can still overlap composed parts by adjusting the padding of individual segments inside the compose operator. For example, to adjust the Left padding of the composed geometry, adjust this parameter for the first segment wired to the compose operator;  or for the right padding adjust the parameter for the last segment wired to the compose operator.

To see how you can use this to create your style, please see the attached sample scene.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Many Thanks,

Paul
Paul Roberts
iToo Software

OB

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 12:33:06 PM »
Thanks a lot for explanation and solution, Paul, it is nice and simple ! I see now that i was wrong in couple of parameters when i was building my network...
And yeah , that kind of group node will be really useful !

Rokas

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 01:33:32 PM »
As I understood the task,- you need adjustable gap between the hexagon tiles:

I could do the gaps but not rotation in regular style, so I had to use nested for this one too:

Rokas