Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Forest color and forest edge crashing in Corona interactive  (Read 2207 times)

GB1249

Forest color and forest edge crashing in Corona interactive
« on: October 19, 2019, 04:38:03 PM »
Hi,

I have been experiencing crashes when I work in the interactive vfb of Corona.
I narrowed down the problem to the forest colour and forest edge maps.
If ever one of them is plugged in the material of a scattered object, when I start the interactive rendering in the vfb, 3ds Max crashes (I am using 3ds Max 2019.3 and FP 6.2.2).
However, it renders fine if I am using the traditional render mode, it only crashes when I am using the interactive mode.
This happens in Corona 4 hotfix 1; I have been trying to install several daily builds until the latest Corona 5 rc1, but it crashes the same way.

Vincent

Michal Karmazín

• iToo Software
Re: Forest color and forest edge crashing in Corona interactive
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 02:41:23 PM »
Hi Vincent,

Though in our internal tests on such a configuration (3ds Max 2019.3, FPP 6.2.2 & Corona 4 Hotfix 1) we can't reproduce this problem, I would suggest you to try enabling the Lock 3ds Max during render option under Corona System Settings (please see attached screen-shot) to see, if there's any difference.

Thanks in advance for any further comments on this issue you can share with us / our user community (in case some user(s) will run into similar troubles).

Best regards,

GB1249

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 08:01:49 AM »
Hi,

thanks for the answer and the tip but I just tried and it makes no difference.

By the way, I was expecting not to be able to move any objects nor modify any material while the interactive rendering is running but I still can.
I can modify the FP parameters, plug a colour correction node but it crashes if ever I use a Forest Color map.

Having to render the traditional way (so waiting each time for the renderer to load/unload geometry, maps, displacement...) kinda looses the benefit of working with the interactive renderer.

Any other ideas :)?

Thanks

Vincent

Rokas

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 08:13:57 AM »
As we can't reproduce this reported crash. When it happens for You again please send us the minidump. Only this way we can identify the issue.
Rokas

GB1249

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 08:18:01 AM »
Hi, sorry for the delay.
When 3ds Max is crashing, I don't have access to the report window, it just shut down without any warnings.
I created a minidump using Process Explorer when Max freezes when I move the slider of the Forest Color map from the default "item" towards "element". However, the minidump is 700mb, where can I upload that file?

Thanks

Rokas

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 08:21:24 AM »
700 mb is more like full dump, not mini. We need minidump.
You can send it to us using Wetrasfer.
Rokas

GB1249

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 07:44:26 PM »
Hi,

sorry for the massive delay, I found a workaround using 2 Corona multimap plugged in a mix node and omitted this thread but I think it's still important you get this minidump to try and resolve the problem.
In another scene of mine, the forestcolor is not crashing anymore, but moving the item/element slider makes the ipr unresponsive for several minutes, which in the end also prevent me from using it.
I uploaded a minidump (created with ProcessExplorer), here is the link:

https://we.tl/t-1mN0FTLelS

Also, I discovered that using the same forestedge map plugged into different opacity channel materials results in a crash; if I copy the map and each material has its own, then it renders fine. It might be scene specific, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Best,

Vincent

GB1249

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 10:12:58 AM »
Hi,

I uploaded a new minidump - https://we.tl/t-7Yk3Ef8W2l - as my scene is crashing using forestedge map again in ipr mode; it renders fine when using regular render mode though.
Whenever I start the ipr, Max freezes for a bit and then crashes. No error report, nothing. Just gone.

Hope the minidump helps,

Vincent

Rokas

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 11:10:45 AM »
This last crash points to penimc2_v0400.dll  it seems like some tablet PC component driver.
Maybe it would be better to inform Corona developers about IR crashes.
Rokas

GB1249

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 04:30:18 PM »
Ok thanks, will do and update the post if the Corona guys can fix the problem.