Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: Floating License - More instead of less issues after update  (Read 618 times)

eqko

Floating License - More instead of less issues after update
« on: March 04, 2020, 11:10:21 AM »
So after updating all our installations to 4.x and it's supposedly improved occupation & release of
licences (just like in forest) we are seeing MORE issues of licenses not being available instead of the hoped LESS.

Anything specific you changed that might facilitate LESS releas of license instead of MORE ?
was it previsouly assigned to machine and now to max  (most users have 2 maxes open, does that occupy 2 seats or not ?)

Rokas

Re: Floating License - More instead of less issues after update
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 12:58:59 PM »
Hi

I am sorry to hear that You are facing these issues. It should not assign two licenses for two max instances.
Would You please send us a screenshot of [License Manager, Computers Tab] when such situation occurs again.
Rokas

eqko

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 11:50:53 AM »
well it's not actually that (double occupation), I'm just wondering why I'm seeing licenses being connected longer than before instead of shorter.

eqko

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 11:38:03 AM »
so it feels railclone now checks in a license when you open a scene containing railclone,
instead of when you select it (as I believe was previously the case).

If there's no license I get an error and hit and miss the scene could crash if there's no license available.

It would be ever so sweet if railclone would ONLY take a license if a RC object was selected and even then perhaps only when
one chooses to edit it.

Rokas

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 11:31:02 AM »
Yes, that is correct. License is acquired on scene open. This is requirement of our licensing system.
If other persons has used the last license, and You need more, please consider purchasing another one.

Regarding crashing- that should not happen. We can't reproduce this crash.
If it happens for You again please send us the minidump. Only this way we can identify(and fix) the issue.
Rokas

eqko

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 10:06:35 AM »
Doesn't this kind of defeat the point of floating licenses ?
Licenses are being taken lef tright and center, even if the railclone object is never touched.

So basically where I could cover 30 users with half as many licenses, I now basically need a license for every user, even though
that user might never use railclone to build or adjust, only because it is in a scene ...
I only have 10 users at most who know how to use and adjust railclone.

Just thinking out loud here ...

Rokas

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 11:45:09 AM »
If you wish to prevent a license being used, and you have no need to edit and FP/RC object or start a render you can prevent 3DS Max from grabbing a license by temporarily switching the license mode to Standalone.
Just run  Itoo Software>Forest Pack Pro>Change License Mode from the Start menu and click cancel at the license code request dialog. Due to technical limitations in RC4 and later Objects will not display in viewports. You can switch back to the Network license mode at any time, by running the configuration tool again.
In this way, you can define easily the workstations that are authorised to use the licenses.
Rokas

eqko

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 02:11:06 PM »
ok, that sounds like a usable workaround.
Will combine this with a couple of additional licenses as well, just to be sure.

thanks for brainstorming with me on this :)