Itoo Software Forum

Author Topic: RC pathway with brick kerbs either side issue  (Read 419 times)

chrisc0le

RC pathway with brick kerbs either side issue
« on: February 03, 2022, 11:03:13 AM »
Hi All

I'm hoping someone can assist me. I need to make a path that forest pack can use to hide grass/gravel etc.
I would like a flat path I can apply a mapped texture to with bricks on each outer edge as kerbs.

I have managed to achieve this using a spline and outlining it to the width required. Then assigning an ID of 2 to one spline and using a conditional operator only have the floor generated from one spline. This kind of works, but has limitations.

A) If I adjust the splines the floor can push through the kerb or move away leaving a gap
B) Adjustment is tricky as there are 2 splines to edit

What I really want is one spline to control everything. I tried this initially. Adding the floor centrally works fine. But when it comes to adding the brick kerbs using a Y transform of 75cm and then mirroring and composing into a group I get random sized gaps between the bricks on the bends. I have tried all sorts to fix this but I cannot figure it out.

So in summary i'd like to replicate what I have, but using a single spline in the middle. Hopefully I'm doing something stupid and this is easier than i'm making it.

Dragan

Re: RC pathway with brick kerbs either side issue
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 11:50:04 AM »
Hi
Here is a quick example of how this could be done.
I used nested L1S as a segment to distribute through A2S (for better surface distribution).
FP is simple gravel preset generated on Surface (Plane001) + Area Spline set as Excule (Line001). The width for removing the gravel segments is controlled by the Thickness (calculating from the center of the spline).

RC is driven by the same Spline (Line001) and the same Surface (Plane001). I have exposed the "X-fixed size" parameter for the Path width. It is also calculated from the center so basically, it is half-size, but I used this method so you enter the same value both for RC and FP.

You could also use RC object as an Exclude object for FP area so you don't need a spline to exclude the option but depending on the RC object this method could produce some issues.

Sorry, I don't have any more time to elaborate, I`m on a deadline project at the moment.

here is a link for the scene file:
https://we.tl/t-01N4vXexhm

« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 11:57:22 AM by Dragan »

chrisc0le

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 11:58:54 AM »
Many thanks Dragan. I will inspect your scene with your guide and see if I can figure it out.

Dragan

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 12:26:21 PM »
If the nesting part is still new for you, here is a simple example just for the RC object based on L1S.

chrisc0le

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 01:42:16 PM »
If the nesting part is still new for you, here is a simple example just for the RC object based on L1S.

Cool i'm about to have a look at the nested one first. I've used RC on & off for a while, but never delved too deeply.
I've generally found click on every option until it does what I want a passable solution. But this one got me stumped lol.

It's about time I learnt the tool properly.

chrisc0le

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 03:40:59 PM »
Ok I've been through and re-created your 1S version as the nested one is a bit too far for me at this point.
The expressions and inputs are of great help.

How would I go about adding a mortar section between each kerb brick? compose is messing things up.

Many thanks for your help again.

EDIT: I just added another 1S Generator and did it that way.

Just want to say thanks to Dragan. You've helped a lot with that scene.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 06:27:54 PM by chrisc0le »